UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss tile debonding from adhesive - advise needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

matt_pepper

Hi,

New member here in need of help.

About 6 months ago I had my kitchen tiled in 600 x 600 porcelain. The subfloor is mix of solid and timber suspended so I installed polypipe overlay heating system. These are essentially an 18mm concrete board that runs over the sub floor with piping for water ufh that are meant to compensate for backing board or ply overlay.

My problem is that some of the tiles are now lifting. I followed the rules and left the heating off for 21 days (prob more like 30+) and then brought the heating up v slow. My tiler insists he used a suitable flex adhesive (Ultra rapid set) but the adhesive appears to have de-bonded from the tile completely. When I lift the tiles off the tile bed, I see some cracks in the adhesive, but this still feels set to the sub floor but there is none on the back of the tile.

Has anyone seen similar or can advise on what the cause may be?

I initially thought deflection, but the tiles that have lifted are not in a high traffic area of the room.

Really would appreciate any advise from a pro.

Many thanks
Matt

hello and welcome
do you know which ady he used? did he back butter the tile? if you jump on the floor is the floor deflecting? where the tiles been stored before application? can you see how many mm of adhesive he used under the tiles? is it any chance you can take some photos of your floor and post it on here i think you would get you answer much faster this way ;)

M

matt_pepper

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies... really appreciated

The ady he used was apparently Ultra ProRapid RS: Rapid Set Flexible Tile Adhesive.

The floor levels were not great so I think there is a pretty thick tile bed in places to compensate. I managed to get some of the tile bed up, and it measured about 12mm deep

I suspect there is some deflection on the timber floor but I am starting to notice cracked grout around tiles on the concrete sub floor too. Some of the areas where the tiles have lifted are not even traffic areas. It is strange because the tiles seem to be lifting or be loos on a corner or side where as the other side is still stable. Some have completely lifted all together and I have tried to show picture of remaining tile bed.

I have the tiler coming back out to take a look, but I wanted to have some ideas in advance...

many thanks
Matt

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 46
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tile debonding from adhesive - advise needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.