Discuss Tile formatting in Bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

mlingram

Hi,

Am about to tile my bathroom and have decided to tile in a brickwork style to help
break-up the grout lines when looking at the wall as a whole.

Now in terms of starting points, I will being at one corner so will start one line
with a full line of tiles, then the next line with a half-tile, then full tiles after that point.
The remaining half-tile will then be used to begin the lines of the wall adjacent to
this to ensure a uniform look.

The question I have is that on the opposite corner (I am tiling 3 of the 4 walls
of the bathroom) the tiles wont meet perfectly at the corner (i.e it wont end on a
full tile). My thinking is that I simply cut the tile to the corner as required and use
the off-cut to begin the line on the adjacent wall and continue from there.

Is this the correct process ?

(Hope this explanation above makes sense)

Many Thanks
Matt

G

grumpygrouter

Welcome to the forums Matt.

Not a good idea to start tiling from the corner! Find the centre of the middle wall and use this as an initial datum line. Use the same principle of full tile and half tile, work out where your cuts will be on the tile to the corner. You can carry the cut tile around to the next wall and then carry on as normal.

Normally walls were they join in corners are not square/plumb unless you are lucky and it is best to cut the tiles to fit because each row may have a different size cut into the corner.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

G

GazTech

Hi,

Am about to tile my bathroom and have decided to tile in a brickwork style to help
break-up the grout lines when looking at the wall as a whole.

Now in terms of starting points, I will being at one corner so will start one line
with a full line of tiles, then the next line with a half-tile, then full tiles after that point.
The remaining half-tile will then be used to begin the lines of the wall adjacent to
this to ensure a uniform look.

The question I have is that on the opposite corner (I am tiling 3 of the 4 walls
of the bathroom) the tiles wont meet perfectly at the corner (i.e it wont end on a
full tile). My thinking is that I simply cut the tile to the corner as required and use
the off-cut to begin the line on the adjacent wall and continue from there.

Is this the correct process ?

(Hope this explanation above makes sense)

Many Thanks
Matt
Hopefully this will help Mat....Gaz

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tile formatting in Bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hope everyone is well. I'm after some advice please. I'm currently having my bathroom tiled...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have done a bit of tiling before but I will be tiling our shower room soon and we have a...
Replies
Views
I asked my tiler to layout my tiles with diagonal grout lines. He has done half of the floor but...
Replies
Views
We recently completed the (rectified porcelain) floor tile installation in the bathroom and...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB