UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tile onto Bonding Wall Ideas? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tinca

Hi,

I have just finished preparing my bathroom for tiling.

I have bought 17.5Kg/m2 tiles (32x45cm) and I have Mapei Keraflex maxi cement. Around the shower area I have Aquaboard fixed to studs and I also have some areas of plasterboard fixed to studs. Both of these should be OK from what I read.

The problem is one particular wall (not a wet wall) where I have a mixture of bare bonding plaster and skimmed plaster. This is because a lot of the previous skim came off with the (smallish) tiles and also a lot of the previous bonding.

I asked the plasterer to make the wall "flat for tiling" and he made the level up to the remaining skim coat with bonding.

I am now aware from reading this forum that my tiles + cement + grout push just over the 20Kg limit for Gypsum (putting aside any concerns over whether I should even tile on the bonding at all).

So to get to the point of this post, I'm now considering my options, some ideas I've had:

1. Rip it all off and dab platerboard to it (not appealing)

2. Just tile on it and take the risk. Surely 20Kg is a conservative figure. What's the worst that could happen?

3. 9mm Plasterboard covering, but not sure how to fix through the plaster to the wall.

4. 9mm Backerboard or plywood etc with something like frame fixings through the plaster to the wall.

Has anybody else got any other ideas or advice?

Many thanks,

Rob.

S

Scott

Thats what I suggested Scott, no need to board over the skim coat just tile directly

Yeah isaw that Mark sorry, it didnt come out clear.What i meant was kinda seperate from this.

We know the weight limits for skimmed plaster and that unskimmed plasterboard is higher. My point is if the skim wont take the weight of a tile which is 75+% coverage how come it will take the plasterbaod which is dot and dabbed at maybe 50% coverage, plus the tiles addy and grout?

Does that make sense?

M

mikethetile

Yeah isaw that Mark sorry, it didnt come out clear.What i meant was kinda seperate from this.

We know the weight limits for skimmed plaster and that unskimmed plasterboard is higher. My point is if the skim wont take the weight of a tile which is 75+% coverage how come it will take the plasterbaod which is dot and dabbed at maybe 50% coverage, plus the tiles addy and grout?

Does that make sense?
its the bonding that was being d n d over but as mark has rightly said , skim the bonding and tile as normal

I didnt know you d n d onto a skim , whats the point in that

T

tinca

Get him to skim that bit of wall, as you mentioned the weight of tiles and not in the shower area

I was thinking that the limit for skim plaster was 20Kg/m2, but after your suggestion I looked again at the tile bible and it seems that 28KG is possible with "skim & set Plaster" and 20KG is only for skim over plaster boards.

So, just for the avoidance of doubt, does "Skim & Set Plaster" mean bonding plaster backing with a skim coat on top?

Thanks,

Rob.

I was thinking that the limit for skim plaster was 20Kg/m2, but after your suggestion I looked again at the tile bible and it seems that 28KG is possible with "skim & set Plaster" and 20KG is only for skim over plaster boards.

So, just for the avoidance of doubt, does "Skim & Set Plaster" mean bonding plaster backing with a skim coat on top?

Thanks,

Rob.
can't see any point of skiming plasterboard prior tiling, you will just waste time and money, plasterboard itself hold up to 32 kg per sq metter while skimmed plasterboard or plaster hold up to 20 kg, so why to skim plasterboard prior tiling? if you go over 20 kg per sq meter with tiles which you will do if you will lay porcelain tiles, then tiles might debond between bonding compound and skimed plaster, i done some test and if you pull porcelain tiles from skimed wall on bonding compound, so adhesion will brake between skimed plaster and bonding compound, so the best choice would be dot and dab plasterboard with drywall adhesive and + fix plasterboard mechanically :thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tile onto Bonding Wall Ideas? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.