UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss tile onto chipboard or not ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

2020Tiling

hi ! got a small job to do, bathroom floor, 4 meters. floor has little movement and is chipboard. normally i would overboard, but been to my local tile giant and he recommended a 2 part mapei adhesive and said there is no problem tiling over chipboard ? just in limbo at the min and not sure if i want to risk it ? just doesnt seem right to me ? any of you lot tile onto chipboard? tiles are ceramic.:8:

2020Tiling

never used Dita ! i used cement board on a small job months ago and nearly broke my drill ? its quite a mission drilling them screws in to concrete ? i had to use a counter sinker then screw in the screws so there flush with the boards , otherwise the screws stick up around2/3mm ? thank god it was only a small job otherwise id still be preparing the floor!!:lol: if i get a chipboard floor again that doesn't need strengthening i will use Dita as it looks easy quick to use and cut.

D

doug boardley

never used Dita ! i used cement board on a small job months ago and nearly broke my drill ? its quite a mission drilling them screws in to concrete ? i had to use a counter sinker then screw in the screws so there flush with the boards , otherwise the screws stick up around2/3mm ? thank god it was only a small job otherwise id still be preparing the floor!!:lol: if i get a chipboard floor again that doesn't need strengthening i will use Dita as it looks easy quick to use and cut.
Ditra is for combatting lateral movement terry, it won't help strengthen the floor against deflection, (neither will hardibacker). You need to make sure there are plenty of noggins between the joists to eliminate deflection (bounce). Then use hardiebacker onto the chipboard.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tile onto chipboard or not ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.