Discuss tile over existing tiles or remove and tile on screed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

ashhorner

Hi,

I've been getting quotes for tiling my kitchen floor - approx 28m2 currently tiled with ceramic tiles on concrete / screed base. These are solid and seem well fitted.

The existing tiles are perfectly good, we are just replacing them because they were the standard tiles fitted when built and not to our taste.

I'm getting conflicting views from the tilers who are quoting as to whether to take out the existing tiles or simply tile over. Some have said that it will be a huge job to take out the tiles, to the point where they will only quote on a day rate...which puts all the risk on to me.

Others have said that it should be fine to take the tiles out and level if needed.

I'd like the job done properly but at the same time, if it saved a decent amount of money then I don't mind either route. I'm not too concerned with the floor level rising.

I would appreciate any advice as to best practice in this situation.

Thanks,

Ashley

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Personally I don't tile on tile as a general rule, if cost is an issue, have you thought about removing the tiles yourself and just asking a tiler to SLC and tile. It's what I suggest to my customers, I charge my full day rate whether I'm doing skilled work or just something like a rip out. Or find a cheap labour price for the rip and removal of waste, then get the tiler in

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tile over existing tiles or remove and tile on screed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB