Discuss Tile Prep Advice Needed. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Makken

Just totally renovated bathroom from floor joists up, want to tile the walls round the bath and an electric shower is going on the wall above the bath to use with shower curtain, anyway the walls are stud walls with 12mm moisture resistant plasterboard attatched and my plasterer put a 3mm plaster skim over them, i asked him what prep i needed for fresh skimmed plaster and he said, you guessed it 'PVA', so he rolled the walls to be tiled with his trusty pva for me.
Anyway 4-5 wks have passed now and i'm just about got round to tiling the walls but having done some reading on the internet from various sources i have read that pva on fresh plastered walls is very much frowned upon and an absolute no no, i am now worried and don't want to tile on to the wall as it is.
Our tiles are 248mm x 331mm x 7mm Ceramic tiles and weigh 12.6Kg Sq metre, i will be using Readymixed Mapei Waterproof Fix & Grout bought from screwfix (http://www.NoLinksToThis/p/mapei-waterproof-fix-grout-white-7-5kg/65688) to stick to the wall, on the back of the tub it does'nt mention using pva but recommends using Mapei Primer G.
Should i risk tiling on to the pva or sanding it down or can i put the primer g over the pva or something else over the pva, any advice or help greatly appreciated.

I

Ian

Try warm water on a sponge to reactivate the PVA, it'll probably wash off (a bit like removing old wallpaper paste), if that doesn't work, sand it off. You may also want to consider tanking the shower area prior to tiling. Also don't use that adhesive, for one its an insane price for the quantity you get and you will get a better result using powdered cement based adhesive and a powdered grout.

M

Makken

I appreciate the above comments but not helpfull really as you have'nt given any valid reasons as to why i should'nt use the tubbed adhesive, and why a mapei powdered adhesive is going to be more superior over the tubbed variety, i mean surely if the powdered variety is more superior then why would a quality name such as mapei put out an inferior product in the tubbed adhesive, i just don't understand the above comments with no evidence given to suggest that tubbed mapei adhesive is going to be no good or so inferior that it should'nt be used.
Mapei say it is a 'waterproof' adhesive and grout so surely no need for tanking, also say ok for wet enviroment on the tub, are they lying!, i posted for some good proffesional advice yet i'm more confused, i think i'll give mapei a ring tomorrow.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tile Prep Advice Needed. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

PVA V PRIMERS – WHy you should never use PVA Glue when Wall Tiling Don’t listen to that idiot...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB