Discuss Tile to bonding coat? Please help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jubba

I am just doing our bathroom and came here for advice but have ended up even more confused?

I need to repair a wall (outer brick) that is damaged ready for tiling, The plasterer is coming Friday and has advised to repair with bonding coat then seal with PVA!

After reading info on this site I now understand that tiling to a PVA'd surface is a big no-no. (great thread on PVA vs Primer by the way)

So what I need to know is can the bonding coat be sealed with proper tile primer, then tile to this or have these surfaces got to be skimmed prior to tiling?

Is there an alternative to bonding coat that can be used to repair walls then tile to?

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rich

Hi..

Bonding coat is not a suitable surface to tile directly to.. it is quite unstable and will not hold the tiles... A suitable finish coat is required to create a stable substrate.

You can get some one coat patching plasters that are rapid drying and suitable to tile too..

Can i just ask what tiles are you intending to use.?[/QUOTE]

Beat me to it Dave. Great minds :smilewinkgrin:

J

jubba

Hi..

Bonding coat is not a suitable surface to tile directly to.. it is quite unstable and will not hold the tiles... A suitable finish coat is required to create a stable substrate.

You can get some one coat patching plasters that are rapid drying and suitable to tile too..

Can i just ask what tiles are you intending to use.?

Haven't got the tiles yet but they will be ceramic, 250 x 400 ish size.
Does this make much difference?

I have seen one coat plaster at wickes (knauf), would this be suitable.

I'm thinking about doing the bonding coat repairs myself now, then just getting the plasterer to skim/finish for me. If so is there any particular finish coat that should or shouldn't be used to ensure no reaction with a cement tile adhesive. (Mapei Keraflex Maxi)

Thanks

Lee

J

jubba

if you remove bonding coat , then dot some new boards wont that work for you

Oh no not more options, my head is going to explode. :dizzy2:

Definatly worth considering though, just a bit concerned at what i might find find behind the current bonding coat! :yikes:

Originally was just thinking a quick repair with bonding to the damaged surface then crack on with the the tilling, never realised how technically involved the whole tiling business was, but digesting this forum for the last week i learned Ettringite and all kinds of crazy tiling requirements.

But if a jobs worth doing.

Reply to Tile to bonding coat? Please help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, it's my first time here and I'm desperate to solve this problem. Can someone please tell me...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tile to bonding coat? Please help
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.