Wall and Floor Tiling Standards BS 5385 Part 1 and 2 Bristish Standards, ISO Tile Fixing Standard.

Welcome to TilersForums.com, the place to discuss all tiling standards whether British Standards in Wall and Floor Tiling, BS5385, or ISO European Standards for Tile Fixing.

Tiling Standards

Wall and Floor Tiling Standards for the UK: British Standards in Tiling.

Discuss Tile weight in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com.

M

marsaday1971

6mm Ceramic......... ..14.26 kg/m2 .....................................18.46 kg/m2
8mm Ceramic ...........17.62 kg/m2 .....................................21.82 kg/m2
10mm Ceramic ..........20.97 kg/m2 ....................................25.17 kg/m2
12mm Ceramic ..........24.32 kg/m2 ....................................28.52 kg/m2
10mm Porcelain .........23.88 kg/m2 ....................................28.09 kg/m2
12mm Porcelain .........27.82 kg/m2 ....................................32.00 kg/m2
10mm Natural stone ...31.10 kg/m2 ....................................35.30 kg/m2
12 mm Natural stone ..36.48 kg/m2 ....................................40.68 kg/m2
20mm Natural stone ...58.00 kg/m2 ....................................62.20 kg/m2

I have just seen this table and i am disappointed i will not be able to use stone tiles in our new bathroom.

The walls are all plasterboarded (cement board in shower area), so i think we are limited to only 20kg/m of weight. Is this correct ? This means i can only really use an 8-10mm ceramic.

D

Deleted member 1779

That 20KG seems low on plasterboard. I am sure its more.
Put it this way LOTS of people tile their bathrooms with 12mm porcelain tiles. Not heard of anyone having a tile drop on their head yet!

contemporary_bathroom.jpg

I THINK YOU WILL BE RECIEVING SOME ENCOURAGING NEWS ON THIS FORUM SOON!!

M

marsaday1971

Ok, but you have all given slightly different answers (28 or 32). someone on another forum has said 20kg because i have plastered the PB. Clean PB can take more weight because it doesnt have a skim on it.

Still confused. I did think 20kg was a bit low as well.

I was hoping to use 10mm limestone and that will be 31kg. So under one persons weight limit and over the other.

any more views ?

D

doug boardley

Ok, but you have all given slightly different answers (28 or 32). someone on another forum has said 20kg because i have plastered the PB. Clean PB can take more weight because it doesnt have a skim on it.

Still confused. I did think 20kg was a bit low as well.

I was hoping to use 10mm limestone and that will be 31kg. So under one persons weight limit and over the other.

any more views
?
adhesive and grout will push it up to about 35kgm2, hope this is clearer now

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tile weight in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A
I always thought that plasterboard had a load bearing capacity of 20kg/m2 but according to the...
Replies
Views
doug boardley
D
This is especially for "customers" -anyone who wants to buy or choose their own tiles (whether...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
I am currently renovating my Utility room which is approximately 10m2 at about 4m x 2.5m. I am...
Replies
Views
D
R
I have put a few posts up on here about tiling differend substrates and have got some suprising...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D
R
Hello all, Iv stumbeled across a few posts from members new to the tiling game or DIYers asking...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB