Wall and Floor Tiling Standards BS 5385 Part 1 and 2 Bristish Standards, ISO Tile Fixing Standard.

Welcome to TilersForums.com, the place to discuss all tiling standards whether British Standards in Wall and Floor Tiling, BS5385, or ISO European Standards for Tile Fixing.

Tiling Standards

Wall and Floor Tiling Standards for the UK: British Standards in Tiling.

Discuss Tile weights in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com.

D

David Goodier

I'm still a little confused... I'm DIYing my bathroom, and am still uncertain about whether I get a tiler to do or have a go myself.
Having been lurking here for a while, I've picked up loads of advice but some things about weight still confuse me!

I have stud walls that are made with 9.5mm plasterboard; am screwing& glueing plasterboard to the one existing wall to give a flat surface that will take 32kg/m2

the wife has selected a 10mm large format Travertine honed and filled; the weight of tile +addy comes in under the limit for 3mm, over the limit for 6mm.

First question; if I have reclad the walls so they are absolutely flat, do I need more than 3mm?

Second question; If you have to 'butter' the tiles, does the weight go up, or is the weight of the tile based on no holes in it?

Third question; some people talk about not forgetting the weight of addy PLUS grout - surely the grout goes in the gaps that would otherwise have tile in them so the overall weight per square metre shouldn't go up?

Fourth question; the joists are in reasonable nick; I have reinforced them with metal bands, am going to screw down the boards and have nomoreply and fixings to go on that. The joists though are 400mm centres (300mm gaps) and so I'm putting some noggins in for more stability. How many or how far apart?

Sorry to be a pain, but after a month of lurking hoping someone else would ask these questions I thought I'd take the plunge!

David Goodier

D

Deleted member 1779

I would say do the prep yourself but use a tiler for the finish. I know I did and its such a relief to use them when spending £££ on tiles. I was paying over £9 per tile and what that man saved me in wastage by setting out as well as little tricks that only a full time tile layer can master was well worth it.

I figured I would be seeing the results for many years so it was worth the money. And I am sure it saved me money in not having mistakes.

R

F

faithhealer

Hi Dave, as the chart says.. for guidance only... If in doubt weigh one and work it out for yourself. (Grout weight is insignifcant) As for noggins, the more the merrier, I'm tied of tiling on bendy walls! As Richard (365 Drills, great for stone tiles by the way, theres your plug mate) says, get a tiler in to be on the safe side but a tiler with references and a portfolio! Good luck

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tile weights in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Seems alot of talk that 20kg per mtr2 is the max weight limit for plaster. Few questions 1. its...
Replies
Views
I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, Thanks for being members here on TilersForums.com - it is a pleasure to have you! I...
Replies
Views
We have been hit by hundreds of spam accounts that are somehow passing the human anti-spam...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB