Discuss Tiled a few houses, going to start charging. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

celt

I've been working in construction for 14 years but mainly a plastered. I handy at other trades like block laying,concrete work and some roof woek. I have tiled my own self build, 5 bed with 4 bathrooms, large kitchen, dining etc.. Have also tiled a few frienew bathrooms kitchens but now thinking of going out and tiling jobs for income.
Just joined and to know any tips yous might have for me because when tiling them jobs I mention above I found if it bit tricky. Some if the ra weren't that great and had to use more adheisve in o some parts of the and cutting exact to the mm around the edges was time consuming.
when laying the tiles,I used hand trowel with the sq notched of it. I have a great tile cutter that's used. By proper tradesmen rulers. also have electric one for difficult cuts.
Only after doing a job my sister and done it in. 26 hours and was a 5.3 x 4 m sq kitchen/dining with some units running along the 5m wall. Layer the tiles then had to cut the outer tiles, done this one by one then layer dry to check to see if they where . Grouped and looks great job. Brought the kitchen table/chairs back in and fitted , not one wobble in any of them.
Just wondering is this a good time for doing this sort of job.

C

celt

sounds like your an expert ....go for it...:smilewinkgrin:

Sure why not, god loves an aul trier as the aul saying goes lol. All jokes aside thou, i do understand you being sarcastic because yous are prob fully qualified tilers and seeing a thread like this warrents it but im handy enough with doing other jobs and wouldnt really make a mess of the work im doing like a newbie would. Im well clued up on knowing what needs done and do leave a good enough job. I have seen some bad jobs in my time TBH with people not knowing how to grout properly or even set out tiles so you dont have a wee daft cuts around the edges. All i would need is experience and hopefully leave jobs like a proper tradesman tiler.

Will try and upload some pics when i get a chance.

C

celt

I hope your Tiling is better than your grammar.

The forum is open to all levels of skill!
We are here to help when a question is asked but to charge someone for a DIY job is not a moral stance I'd want to encourage!
Call it sarcasm or whatever but we all have the right to reply.

I must admit, I found the 1st post quite hard to follow, but have no issue with you charging for your work.. Why not, if you're doing things properly, and your customers are happy. Have a good read in here, and just make sure you're doing it right, or it could turn round and bite you in the wallet.

welcome to the forum ;)

Cant help the grammer, left school at the age of 14 to go work in construction and never really had any need for good grammer. Sorry if this is a problem, on here but hope people understand.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Cant help the grammer, left school at the age of 14 to go work in construction and never really had any need for good grammer. Sorry if this is a problem, on here but hope people understand.

Don't worry about the grammar,I'm rubbish at it.
As for the tiling as long as you are doing a good job and it right,you should charge,everyone has got to start somewhere :) even a plasterer

S

steve187

celt why not type your posts in something that has spell check and then cut and paste onto here.
it was hard to follow and on reading it i assumed english was not your first language.
best of luck with your chosen path, but i would suggest a tiling course to at least get you on the right foot, and as a previous poster said some photo's of your work would help, your last post reminds me of someone else

I've been working in construction for 14 years but mainly a plastered. I handy at other trades like block laying,concrete work and some roof woek. I have tiled my own self build, 5 bed with 4 bathrooms, large kitchen, dining etc.. Have also tiled a few frienew bathrooms kitchens but now thinking of going out and tiling jobs for income.
Just joined and to know any tips yous might have for me because when tiling them jobs I mention above I found if it bit tricky. Some if the ra weren't that great and had to use more adheisve in o some parts of the and cutting exact to the mm around the edges was time consuming.
when laying the tiles,I used hand trowel with the sq notched of it. I have a great tile cutter that's used. By proper tradesmen rulers. also have electric one for difficult cuts.
Only after doing a job my sister and done it in. 26 hours and was a 5.3 x 4 m sq kitchen/dining with some units running along the 5m wall. Layer the tiles then had to cut the outer tiles, done this one by one then layer dry to check to see if they where . Grouped and looks great job. Brought the kitchen table/chairs back in and fitted , not one wobble in any of them.
Just wondering is this a good time for doing this sort of job.

Self built 5 bed 4 bathroom... Can't be bad

R

Rossymcg

Do you think he was having a nobble or being serious?
His use of words wouldn't indicate he's spent much time in the building game,
Being a plasterer would help out in several situations you'd come across, I've encountered plenty of "pro tilers"(ie all the tools, sign written van, business cards and all that jazz) making a decent living and throwing it in, they easily get shown up by some multi traders I'd rather employ, it's all about the person doing the job not the title attached to the person,

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiled a few houses, going to start charging. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Evening, Hope this post is in the correct section. If not, please feel free to move! I'm...
Replies
Views
I have a small kitchen with a floor area of 265cm x 140cm with the door recess adding another 20...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB