UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tilers mate, Tile quantity and pattern calculator APP in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
The problem is with apps (or design software/CAD before apps) that don't take into account rooms not square, is you and I know you have to work to the highest point of the high point, and the lowest point of the low point, and that's only possible to find out with a datum line. You can easily end up with an extra 12 inches of wall height to take into account in your slightly larger than average bathroom. And tiling with a tile that's 20 inches that can mean you need up to an extra 2 rows of tiles (with a lot of waste mind).

Apps just don't cut the mustard for that sort of stuff. Even new builds would be questionable.

I'd still be adding on a %, on top of the suggested %. Especially with the bigger tiles.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I tell you what mate the bloke I used to tile for used to weigh it all up with his eyes, add on 10% and then get an extra box. We used to keep all tiles in the van and not offload them all as we would always end up with too many (very very rare we didn't) and you don't look an idiot sitting in a finished bathroom with 7 boxes around you, and you don't look an idiot nipping off the shop on the last day either to try and get the same batch.

If the customer was friendly we'd take them a box in and tell them they're on the house and to keep them under the bath. If they weren't we'd leave a card and tell them that if the shop can't get any if they ever need any, call us. We'd then get them out of the shed and do the fix for them years later.

Worked wonders and kept both types of customer calling us.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Nooooo

That would definitely not work in the scenario I gave.

You would probably find that in your scenario, say if the wall was 6ft in height at either end, and the middle. And the room/floor runs down 6 inches though say. You need to add 6 inches on top of that measurement you took in the middle. (As there would be a 3 inch difference perhaps from a level line, both above the line and below it.)

Though in the same room if it didn't run off from one end to the other 6 inches only, but it ran off 6 inches from a datum line in the middle for the top of the wall/room, and 6 inches from the heigh and low point of the floor too, your room would be 12 inches greater than taking a measurement all the way around the room that is still reading 6ft.

If that makes sense (it is late!)

If you just do what you said on your jobs, and you had that (admittingly bad - but bad to give a good example) room, then I'd be surprised if you said you got the tile qty right on any highish wall job on an oldish building with large tiles in a bathroom say, and one that's of some fairly large size. Those are the sorts of walls that you need to think about a lot during measuring.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tilers mate, Tile quantity and pattern calculator APP in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi - we would very much appreciate some advice. In October 2020 we had a sole trader come in to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I have all the tile I need and the materials to redo my bathroom shower. This is my...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
I think this is okay to do. I can't see this upsetting a relationship you have. But by all means...
Replies
Views
To tiling contractors that hire tilers, where do you advertise to find tilers to fill the rolls...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.