Discuss Tiles and Underfloor heating problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

johnhargate

Hi all,

i live in a modern style house and having problems with cracking grout on the kitchen floor.

The house has a concrete floor, with a visquine membrane followed by 50mm poly insulation with 22mm chipboard floating on top.

On this is 6mm blue underfloor heating boards(a polystryne type!) with warm-up heating wires, then tiles, using a flexible grout.

The problem is the grout is cracking which would indicate the tiles are moving, any help to solve this without removing the tiles ie some other form of grout, if not what would the boards adhesive etc would be best to use on a new install

Many Thanks
John

U

Uheat

Hi John welcome to the forums,

You will not be able to lift up the ufh and re-lay it, You will have to buy new.
if you opt for the reinforced insulation boards rather than just the insulation (blue), these will give a little more strength to the floor. Please have a look at Underfloor Heating | Floor Insulation | Uheat and Underfloor Heating 160W | Electric | Uheat

As for the best adhesive etc to use the most flexible type is using a normal rapidset and use it with an additive. I am sure the guys on here will recommend a good one.

If you have any further questions about the ufh then please give me a call.

D

Deleted member 9966

John,

How long ago was the install done? You need to find out if the tiler was aware that the kitchen floor was floating and used the correct materials to suit it.

You said that the previously installed flooring in your kitchen was fine with no problems. Did the tiler do an assessment of what was already down before he started to figure out what was needed?

I'm not a tiler and the best I can offer at the moment is that the pro tilers on here will give the best advice they can, based on the information you can give them.

Have you called the tiler back in to show him what's happened to the grout?

GRR :driving:

U

Uheat

was a tiler who laid it, will chop his fingers off if i see him !!!!

just getting worried about using backing boards and the tiles cost £3k and i will have to get new underfloor heating and tiles so need to be 200% right this time from the start,

John

John,

When you are ready for it, give me a call and i will sort you out a good deal. Will be a lot cheaper than you paid for Warmup and our products come with a lifetime gaurantee.

where abouts are you?

G

gwright

tiler wont return calls, the floor was tiled from new prior to our purchase. so i am left with starting again, so can anyone give me the best way to start

If the tiles are not loose, carefully remove the grout without damaging the wire, then with Bal GT1 and Bal Super flex grout, use almost neat mixture with very little water added to the flexible grout.
Worth a try?
Gary.

Reply to Tiles and Underfloor heating problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
Hi there, hoping for some help here. I am about to install a small (2.2x2.5m approx) area of...
Replies
Views
We had a water underfloor heating installed and tiled over. 3 months later we noticed many tiles...
Replies
Views
Amethsyt
A
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tiles and Underfloor heating problems
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.