Discuss Tiles coming off wall in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

hi lads,

I hope you could help me out.

Basically I am plumber myself and I inspected a job today which was done the third time. The issue is that the tiles become loose and come off walls. They also have an issue with the plaster behind he walls it's quite damp and cracks and crumbles.

However, It is a rear little extension just for the bathroom. When you face the garden the wall on the right hand side is the issue. They were thinking its rising damp but I doubt it is because it would not just affect one little wall would it? I inspected the outside wall and I've seen that the render cracks very badly but only where the extension starts.

So now, do you guys think it could be a wrong installed extension which is poorly done? It looks to me that the workmanship is not very good and I do not want to refurbish the bathroom and the customer will call me 6 months later. I was thinking to take things and outside the render completely off right to the brick wall and see what's the work like it may need re doing.

Is there anyone who could give an advise or do I need to somewhere else to ask ?

Kind regrads

Ron

If the substrate is to the standard your describing then it shouldn't be tiled onto. In saying that might be a good idea to have it checked out I recently had a job kind of similar the client rang there house insurance and they sent out internal and external inspectors to check I believe free of charge.

Thank you Matt for responding that quick.
I cannot tell of the structure work is been done correct but I definitely can tell that the outer wall which is roofed too has quite a few cracks ... it looks like movement of the wall which is poorly installed. I cannot think of anything else.

I will get a proper construction builder out to have a look at it.

If the it's due to the movenpment and poor workmanship it would need re doing wouldn't it ? That would be quite expensive as the roof has to be re done too.

tiles have become loose 3 times? any dpm on the brickwork?

I haven't got a clue if they used dpm but I would assume that someone who knows what they're doing that they use dpm before tilting.

But even if you dpm it I still think there is an issue with the structure of the extension. I mean it's a small bathroom extension but still poorly done

no mate on the outside brickwork count 4 bricks up from the foundations there should be a plastic strip (damp proof membrane). if not you have a damp problem and its not going away.

I know, but it's not there. Any chance of damp proofing it with injections ? Will it help or is it a waste of time ? What should be done ? Starting to re build the foundation again?

Providing the roof is ok, how about an epoxy dpm like tilemaster or bal tank-it? Both would keep moisture out.
Personally, it sounds like the kind of job best walked away from though!

I will not personally do the job, I would either re do the whole lot or as you said walk away instead of having all the headache. I was just seeking a different opinion

Thanks for all your help much appreciated

what? im talking about the brickwork outside, if there is now damp proof membrane then damp is going nowhere but upwards and will blow any plaster/render work. builders fault not yours.
Yeah, I couldn't see any dpm sheet , neither I can see that they used any dpm for walls ... but u are definitely right about the dpm. So I believe either they sort it out or it will come back over and over again

4 course up from the foundation there should be a dpm (200 mm wide strip of black plastic) if that is not their and you should see it sticking out of the compo then damp will just crawl up the wall and builder is responsible that's what it sounds like because both sides are blowing.
Thanks for your help and advise , thumbs up

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiles coming off wall in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
We inherited split face tiles on a feature wall in our ensuite. In my naivety over the last few...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB