UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiles Darkening? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

biffa69

Can anyone offer any advice on this one.

A customer has come back to me complaining of tiles becoming progressively discoloured in her new bathroom. It is the course above the bath (the wettest area). They are an 'off white' ceramic tile and have been on the wall for about 10 weeks. The wall is internal brick, dry-lined with plasterboard, tanked with BAL WP1, adhesive is Granfix Flexi-wall (AA), and the grout is BAL Micro-ban (all the same as I usually use for wet areas).

I was shocked when I saw them, they have definately darkened in appearance since they were fixed, but there is no point in re-doing them until I get to the root cause.

Any help/comments most welcome.

B

biffa69

Hi,

Adhesive is white and yeah, I did fill the bath before fitting a bath seal strip and then siliconing but there is sod all movement on the bath anyway as it is cast iron. I will have a closer inspection on the silicon sealant though because by the way they are darkening , it definately looks like moisture is getting into the tile.

Come to think off it, I used a different silicon on that job to previous jobs. Screwfix have changed to a new line called 'No Nonsense'. Anybody else tried it?

B

biffa69

Hi Traxman,

Tiles are 250mm by 330mm, trowel was a Benson V-notch giving 100% coverage and they are not porcelain, they are ceramic.

It definately looks as though they are taking in moisture - the darkening starts at the bottom and works it way up the tile.

I am going to have a closer look at the seal around the bottom. Assuming it has failed and they have soaked up water (would they really soak up enough water to darken the entire tile?), will they dry out and return to their normal shade if the seal is made good or is it a case of taking them all off and replacing them?

:icon9:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hi, replied to your thread in the pro's room. But i think this is a case of the tanking system stopping the water from getting out through the last row of tiles and after a long period of time, it's eventually just sitting in the back of the tile soaking in the biscuit. If you remove the seal at the bottom, maybe silicone or whatever. Then re-seal with a sealer strip that can let the last row of tiles breathe, you should find they will change back to the original colour once they have dried out a bit.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiles Darkening? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi - looking for a bit of advice if anyone has experienced this. Hands up I am completely...
Replies
Views
Hi I would like to use some indoor tiles outside on the top of my fish pond wall, the tiles I am...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.