Discuss Tiles falling off in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sanke

Hi all
Been to a look at a property that we manage tonight. The bathroom had been tiled about a year ago but the tiles in one area have started to come away from the wall. The adhesive has gone all watery as if it is new but very wet mix. The area concerned is on the chimney stack.
The tiler that did the work (before I got involved) insists that the problem has been caused by condensation but I don't buy that as surely the wall should withstand water etc from a shower. How would condensation get behind the tiles & debond them from the wall ?????????

beanz

TF
Berkshire
But your tiler can!
Any professional tiler would stand by his work within such a short period of time. If he can identify the problem now he should have know it's outcome when he did it. Insist he rectifies the problem at his own expense.

I'm not so sure!?! The lead flashing may have failed on the chimney stack, and water is running down the wall. Or it could be condensation, as he's said...
If its a wet area, then I'd agree, as he shouldn't have used tubbed gear in a wet area anyway.

T

Time's Ran Out

I'm not so sure!?! The lead flashing may have failed on the chimney stack, and water is running down the wall. Or it could be condensation, as he's said...
If its a wet area, then I'd agree, as he shouldn't have used tubbed gear in a wet area anyway.

I am sure the property owner would notice if the lead flashing has failed and water was running down the wall - but we are asked to give advice with only bits of information and a lot of guessing so it's possible that there isn't even a roof on the building!
At the end of the day the chimney may be a red herring and it's water ingres through the joints where the grout has cracked, he may have tiled onto emulsion and this is the result of the drying out or ............

beanz

TF
Berkshire
I am sure the property owner would notice if the lead flashing has failed and water was running down the wall - but we are asked to give advice with only bits of information and a lot of guessing so it's possible that there isn't even a roof on the building!
At the end of the day the chimney may be a red herring and it's water ingres through the joints where the grout has cracked, he may have tiled onto emulsion and this is the result of the drying out or ............

Ooooookay.. The affected area is the chimney breast. No mention of this being in a wet area. If the tiler thinks it must be condensation, i would assume, it's because it's not in a wet area, yet the adhesive is getting wet. I'd say the tiler is trying to make an educated guess. It's very easy to say its the tilers fault, but at the moment, I don't see anything that suggests this. Like you say, not enough information here to start making accusations. ;)

S

Sanke

Hi all
Firstly thanks for all your replies & opinions
The chimney breast is the opposite side of the bathroom to the shower. Thee point I was trying to make is that on a shower the water is directly on to a tile with little or no detrimental effect so had could condensation on the surface of the tile cause to to fall of f the wall
The residue from the tile was like tubbed adhesive mixed with water & tiled directly onto cinder concrete blocks (so will use a rapid set when refixing tiles)
When I revisited & got onto loft above the bathroom you can see daylight from behind the stack Also two large cracks in the external render & a missing tile So I think we can resolve the issue
Thanks again for all you advice

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiles falling off in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hey all, New to the forum so go easy ;) I've finished tiling my bathroom floor with honed...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB