UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiles for my Utility Room. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I am currently renovating my Utility room which is approximately 10m2 at about 4m x 2.5m. I am going to buy the same tiles for the kitchen so that I have them ready for when I renovate that room as well in about 12 months time. That is about 6m x 7m so I need about 55m2 (ish) of tiles in total.

I have removed the existing quarry tiles which I was going to reuse but I broke so many of them that I now don't have enough.

The wife would like a natural stone look but knowing at least a bit about these things and the problems I could have laying them and maintaining them I think I would be better going for a ceramic tile with a natural stone look. I have seen some tiles at Homebase which would just about fit the bill and they are 300mm x 300mm and 12mm thick. They are ceramic but look like travertine. They are priced at £6.99 per m2 so I think they are a reasonable price. They are not quite right though. I have not bought new floor tiles for a long time and have looked around the likes of B&Q, Topps, Homebase, Tile Giant and several small independent locals.

Any suggestions from the team on whether this is a good price or whether I should be able to get better tiles for a similar price and indeed where to look. I am running out of cash on this project as I had to lay more levelling compound than I was expecting to bring the old floor to something like level. I have also had a problem with the levelling compound (or rather my ability to measure water in a bucket) and that it has delaminated in one area so I have to dig that out and re lay it so even more compound required. I want to keep the tile costs as low as possible. Has anyone used any of the "end of line" type discount tile warehouses.

Second question - I am using BAL PTB adhesive which I already have. When they say pourable - how pourable do they mean????

Cheers

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I was thinking porcelaine but the likes of topps and tile giant wanted £25 plus per m2. Take your point on the home base quality. I do want to avoid them if poss and am prepared to pay a bit more if I have to but I just feel that topps are overpriced.

Brian I see you are based in Grantham - I am just down the A1 at Stamford - any suggestions of some reasonable priced tile outlets in the area.....

I

Ian

This tile is from porcelanosa, 450x450, porcelain. Stone effect decent price, top quality.
montana 001.jpg montana 002.jpg I'll pm the price.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
homebase ceramic tiles are not very good quality..... as said before on the forum theres a reason why there £6.99 m2.... you do get what you pay for. i would go for a porcelain tile if possible, my local tile shop do some very nice natural stone look a like 300x300 for under £10m2 the bargins are there its just finding them. i would try the tiles shops in your area theres allways a deal to be had this time of year.

as for bal P.T.B ive used a lot of this just lately, you need to mix it so it pours out the bucket, not to runny though, trowel it on the floor and leave it a couple of mins and it will stiffen up. best to use a 10mm trowel with it, as its quite sandy.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
homebase ceramic tiles are not very good quality..... as said before on the forum theres a reason why there £6.99 m2.... you do get what you pay for. i would go for a porcelain tile if possible, my local tile shop do some very nice natural stone look a like 300x300 for under £10m2 the bargins are there its just finding them. i would try the tiles shops in your area theres allways a deal to be had this time of year.

as for bal P.T.B ive used a lot of this just lately, you need to mix it so it pours out the bucket, not to runny though, trowel it on the floor and leave it a couple of mins and it will stiffen up. best to use a 10mm trowel with it, as its quite sandy.

Thanks Andy - already bought me 10mm trowel.......

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
do you have a CTD if you do you can use my discount 35%

Now that just shows what I know Deano. Just googled CTD and they are in Peterborough - which is local, they are in Norwich where I am going on Friday, they are in Cambridge where I am tomorrow, they are in Milton Keynes where I am also going tomorrow, they are in Ipswich where I am going on Tuesday next week. I should be able to get a visit in at least one of those days.

Been talking to the Mrs though and she has told me that we are now looking at some black polished porcs for the kitchen and some creamy stone looking ones for the utility so it has all changed in the space of a couple of hours..........women!! ..... anyway it now looks like for this project I am into about 10m2.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
LOL.. it isn't that 1 Al but some other more flexi ones i got.. if you up soon then they are yours.. some grout there as well.. help ya self..

Really appreciate the offer Dave but I am not sure I will be getting up your neck of the woods for a few weeks yet and I think I will be ready for tiling after this weekend....may be next depending on the levelling compound. If I do find meself up there though I will give you a shout.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiles for my Utility Room. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.