Discuss Tiles in small raised fireplace under a woodburner in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Shamblehouse

Hello,

I have made a raised platform in the fireplace to place on top a small woodburner (only 4-5kw)

I made a mistake (which i found out by reading through this forum) by using MDF on the flat faces, so i will now remake it using 18mm plywood.

I wish to tile the platform but was wondering what adhesives or prepwork to do first, as it is a small area i did not want to buy alot of expensive materials to only use a small amount.

As it is only under the woodburner and it has legs i would of thought that the temp would not be an issue?

I also wondered that instead of replacing the MDF could i overboard it with a tile backer board as i made a good job of it and it is incredibly strong with no flex but would the board be ok with the weight?

Any ideas guys

Many Thanks

S

Shamblehouse

Hi,

I did think of shuttering it and back filling with concrete to make the platform but was worried about bridging the DPC and also the floor is a liquid screed with wet UFH under it.

Thinking about it, if i was to set the concrete platform on a builders blue dpm sheet it would not have to be bonded to the wall or the floor it would just be like a very thick paving slab.

What do you think?

S

Shamblehouse

Image00082.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiles in small raised fireplace under a woodburner in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I started removing the tiles in my bathroom today and the majority of the plaster has come off...
Replies
Views
Tikkaaa
T
Hello, as a novice, I need some advice. Our landscapers have been doing a fantastic job so far...
Replies
Views
Good evening tilers, I've just had some tiling work done in our kitchen and the plastic edging...
Replies
Views
Edd The Tiler
E
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've taken on the task of tiling my own kitchen, and before I wreck everything and...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB