UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiles lifting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bally1066

Hi New to this forum, but could do with some advise if anyone can help.

I fitted a bathroom for a customer and had my tiler do all the walls and floor. Prior to the floor we screwed down 18mm wpb on top of floor boards (with plenty of screws) this then got primed before underfloor heating was installed. My tiler then laid tiles using flexible adhesive and grout. The underfloor heating was left off for a week then ramped up slowly over the next few weeks. After about 6 months the tiles started to lift. The customer put up with it for over a year while i tried to get the tiler to go back and look at it as he had moved away. Two weeks ago we went and lifted all the tiles back up and 99% of them came up leaving the adhesive stuck to the floor solid. I ended up have to buy all new tiles as we broke one getting them up and they no longer had the same batch (not good when they are £22 each) My new tiler relayed the floor over the old adhesive as this was solid and we didnt want to damage under floor heating trying to get it up. This week the customer phones me saying some are moving again!
Its been suggested to me that it could be the sub floor moving and this could possibly be the case as the customer tells me he has had to seal around shower tray twice as there has been a gap in the mastic.
If this is the case why would you not see cracking in the kitchen ceiling below?
If the joists are flexing/moving who would be responsible for that? I am not structural engineer just a bathroom fitter, am i expected to lift floorboard to check the joists when i am just removing a bathroom and fitting another.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

B

bally1066

Thanks for reply,
I employed the old tiler, i had used him for years and had never had a problem with him. My new tiler i use said he could not see anything wrong with the previous job. The adhesive on the floor was stuck down solid. They are large tiles 59x59 When i bought the new tiles this time i asked the tile supplier what it could be, he said possibly a bad batch of adhesive! if thats the case the wall tiles are on the wall with the same stuff and none of them have moved.
Thanks

B

bally1066

It was the tile supplier that said it was possibly a bad batch of adhesive not the tiler. I cant upload any pictures as we have now re-tiled the floor (at my cost) only two weeks ago. The underfloor heating has not been turned on and again my customer says he can see movement in some tiles. I cant understand how two tilers who have been tiling for years could both be wrong. The reason the old adhesive was left down was it was stuck solid to the floor. The underfloor cable was well covered. He used a different make of flexible adhesive (grey) and combed the floor and the back of the tile. I am not by any means saying its not a problem thats down to me, but if the shower tray has had to be re-sealed twice as its dropped makes me think it something else, also it has a free standing bath in there but its right up against a wall and the customer tells me that he can hear it moving when he walks in the bathroom.

B

bally1066

Hi Thanks what do you mean by deflection? We put three 8x4 sheets of wpb down laid in the opposite direction to the floor boards.
My problem is, if it is again a fault of mine i will have to take it all up again but i dont know what the cure is. They are not cheap tiles plus my time removing bathroom and the tiler cost. If i was to try and get old adhesive off the underfloor cable is sure to get damaged and i to get the 18mm ply up would be a nightmare as it was put down first and the wall tiles are down on top of that. Plus it has a large shower tray in there that is also laid on top of the ply and tiled in with wall tiles.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiles lifting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.