Discuss Tiles moving, underfloor heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Isabelle

Hi, I'm looking for some advice please

We recently had our kitchen floor tiled to match the existing floor of our adjoining extension. The kitchen floor was over an inch lower. We had an ufh co who laid a cork base over the old tiles (which had no movement), then the heating mat and then a latex screed.

Then to make up the floor level, the builder laid a level of adhesive and then spotted the corners and middle of each tile.

Now, a few months on some of the tiles are moving/noisy when you walk on them.

The problem is, the builder is a friend of the family who did the floor cost price for us (and I know actually lost money on the job).I've spoken to him and he is going to come and have a look later in the week.

When I explained to him on the phone, I asked if it could have been caused by the dot/dab method. He said that because of the different floor levels there was no other way. He said that they could have latexed again but would have needed several applications which would have meant we couldn't use the kitchen for a week or two. He also said that a solid base of adhesive would have been a) extremely expensive and b)would have taken a very long time to dry out.

I'm just wondering if this is right? Are there any other ways of building up floor levels? Part of the issue was that the floor needed to be higher on the side adjoining the extension, but not higher by the other side so there is no step up from the hall. So it is everso slightly sloped.

I'm really worried about it and finding the whole thing very awkward. Any advice would be great!

Thank you!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Hi Isabella. Sorry if some of the replies sounded a bit harsh but we hear this sort of story daily and its really annoying. Not you but your friend. Suffice to say. He has but corners. Dot and dabbing tiles is unacceptable in any situation. There is enough product, materials and methods out there today that would have prepared your floor suitably to fix tiles with a full bed of adhesive.

P

Perfect Tiling

The builder may as well have put them down with blue tack. The one good point is that because there is only 5 dabs of adhesive you may be able to use most of the tiles again. Just lift them and grind or scrape the adhesive off the back and scrape grout off edges. As its fairly recent you should be able to get new tiles of the same batch from the supplier to replace any damaged tiles or ones needed for cuts when a proper tiler retiles it. Another point to consider...is it electric underfloor heating? If the cable/mat has been on then it will have been heating up in air rather than in adhesive as intended. I would replace it as it could be damaged due to overheating. A lot easier to replace now rather than when tiles are down properly! Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiles moving, underfloor heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi there, hoping for some help here. I am about to install a small (2.2x2.5m approx) area of...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB