Currently reading:
Tiles too heavy for plaster skim

While we have you, why don't you checkout our Plumbing Advice forum PlumbersForums.net

Discuss Tiles too heavy for plaster skim in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Steve G

Hi I'm new to the forum and would like some advice please. My bathroom has been dob and dab plaster boarded with 12.5mm moisture resistant plasterboard and SKIMMED. I have now sourced the tiles that I like which are 900w x 300h x 8.7mm thick ceramic, weighing with tile adhesive and grout about 25kgm2. By now you probably see my problem, the guide limit for skimmed is 20kgm2. Is there anything I can do to enable me to use these tiles without ripping down what already has been put up and starting again. The area to be covered by these tiles is a 1200 wide x 800 deep x 2400 high shower cubicle.

My questions are:

Is it possible to remove skim from plasterboard without ruining it? if so how?

I have seen on the web there is a 4mm thick tile backer board. Would it be possible to overboard with 4mm tile backer board and glue and mechanically fix through the dob and dab into the brick behind and then tile onto that. If so what do you use to glue the backer board and what mechanical fixings would you use? I have seen washers on the web.

If the above 4mm board is possible, that means the tiles and backer board will need a tile trim at each edge of at least 13/14mm to cover the edges, are they available?

Can anyone suggest another solution?

Thanks, hope someone can help.

Cheers Steve

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
As as long as it's UNDER 20kg.

Or you could

Use flexible powdered adhesive, and then plug/screw 4mm marmox.

The weights are a guide line, not definite limits.
I've tiled skimmed boards with Quartz,travatine and porcalain tiles still there now after a few years,you wouldn't get them off with a pickup truck and tow rope.

Tile it it would be fine,and before you ask,yes I would as well [emoji33][emoji106]

S

Steve G

you could use a light weight adhesive such as bal supercover if your that worried but most tiles should be able to be fixed to skimed plaster walls

Hi thanks for all your replies, it seems that the consensus of opinion is TILE IT! The tiles are from Porcelanosa: Marmi China and Oxo Deco Blanco 316 x 900mm, so if they weight about 20kg m2 what would the overall weight be if using BAL Supercover lightweight adhesive and grout. I will be ordering the tiles soon. Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Steve

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiles too heavy for plaster skim in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this notification but what was the out come at the end as I have just had a xylophone installed and...
Replies
Views
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Tilers Community
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

TF on Facebook

Thanks for visiting the original Tilers Community.