Discuss Tiling a bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

robinf147

Hi all, once my shower tray has been fitted, I will be tiling the shower area and walls with ceramic tiles. I will have no problems doing this, but I have never tiled a bathroom floor before and would like some help in the preparation before tiling. The floor area will be approx 4m x 2m and at the moment there are tongue and groove floorboards secured onto joists approx 30cm apart. I have not picked any floor tiles yet and would like to hear your recommendations and any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks Rob :smilewinkgrin:

M

Mike

those floor boards will need overboarding, if they're solid (no deflection/bounce) you will get away with just cement boards , laid with spf and screwed but if there's any deflection they would need overboarding with mim. 15mm ply and 6mm cement board over. that would raise the floor considerably so another alternative is to replace the whole floor with 25mm ply and 6mm cement boards. but first strenghthen the joists with noggins/dwangs. i would recommend you 'tank' the walls in the shower area.

M

Mike

Cheers Mike, there is no deflection in the floor and I did not really want to raise the floor level too high. Does it have to be 15mm ply as I don't want a high step up into the bathroom. Also what does spf mean.

Cheers Rob

You'll get away with 10mm cement boards then, spf is single part flexible adhesive, don't forget about tanking the walls
Too
tapatalk on my HTC

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling a bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, first timers here... I am tiling my bathrooms and prefer the look & neatness of tiling...
Replies
Views
hello Folks, its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB