Discuss Tiling a bathroom with Bal Whitestar in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

diamondtiling

I have never used Bal whitestar, I only use powered adhesives, someone will come along and tell you what Bal is like, :thumbsup: you need to acrylic bond the walls before tiling, Check the weight of the tiles first as bare plasterboard takes more weight then a plastered finish.
As for the grout use one recommended for bathrooms and areas open to water contact. Tile Giant do loads of different colours, Do you have a TG near to you?

:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

hi all,

im tiling a bathroom for a friend next week and was just looking for some advice.

i plan on using whitestar from bal as the adhesive and was just wondering if i need to do anything to the walls before i start ( they have just been plastered ) also what grout should i be using????

cheers for any help

Ben

Hi Ben..what size tiles are you using...?..as dispersion adhesives go white star is a good one used the correct way.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi benjii i used to use white star a lot its a good adhesive to use,really depends on the size of your tiles however ,if the tile is too big a powdered adhesive would be better as white star wont be suitable...what size are your tiles mate? also have a chack of your walls as dips ans discrepancies cannot be packed out to keep the tiling flat using this as its tubbed adhesive wont dry.

i would check your walls using a straight edge or a straight spirit level checked baton just to make sure they are nice and straight as a 6mm trowel is as far as id go with tubbed gear mate

B

benjiiiiuk

hi benjii i used to use white star a lot its a good adhesive to use,really depends on the size of your tiles however ,if the tile is too big a powdered adhesive would be better as white star wont be suitable...what size are your tiles mate? also have a chack of your walls as dips ans discrepancies cannot be packed out to keep the tiling flat using this as its tubbed adhesive wont dry.

i would check your walls using a straight edge or a straight spirit level checked baton just to make sure they are nice and straight as a 6mm trowel is as far as id go with tubbed gear mate

cheers kilty you have just answered a massive question for me there. what powdered adhesive would you recommend if i was to use it. also with the powdered stuff how much can you pack out discrepancies

cheers

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi benji,,i usually use mapei keraquik it comes either grey or white so i would advise if you have white or light grout to put in at the end to opt for the white adhesive it just makes it a little bit easier at the end as there will be much less dark adhesive to wash off or cut out.

generally if i had an unlevel wall benji and large ish tiles i would use a heavier trowel than normal to deal with this,trowels can be 6mm 8mm 9mm 10 mm 12 mm ,once you have checked the wall for flatness/straightness if you find a few hollows it may be easier to just skim over them with the adhesive and a plastereres trowel first then run a straight baton over to double check the end result before tiling it will save you packing out as you go.

keraquik will got to 20 mm no probs benji

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling a bathroom with Bal Whitestar in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB