UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling a border into window recess (sill). in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

trevor

Hi Guys,

My wife would like a glass 4 finger 65mm wide border running vertically and then turning to horizontal into the recess (sill) at bottom of window and then continuing in above. in other words a verticle border floor to ceiling in and out of window sills.

concerns will be:-
unequal cuts, a whole tile on left side of window and 50mm slither on the other?

having a glass border on a horizontal surface (sill), possible easily damaged in use?

Any comments welcome.

Trevor

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Can you not end up with 2/3'rds of a tile either wide of the window rather than one full and one slither? Or half and half or thereabouts?

And I'd run the border into the window so you have an external corner. Orrrrrr, I'd run it under the window so it's just part of the wall and nothing to do with the window.

Ahhh wait there you said vertically. Wives eh?

If they're embossed even slightly it might be a bad idea to run it in the window. I'm guessing they're bevelled in some form? You say fingers, I'm thinking pencil strips?

Try run it up the side of the window which is the modern look people go for. And I'd try to deal with that 50mm thing too as that doesn't sound as cool as it could look. Maybe.

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland
Like this?
2012-08-29 19.08.41.jpg I guess the window isn't in the centre of the wall, and the unequal cuts are at the walls. Equal cuts are not always possible, but as long as they are not slivers, and the other walls are plumb,it may be ok. The fact that you have a definite feature that has to be central, then this will explain the unequal cuts

T

trevor

Thanks Guys for your replys.

Tommyzoom - picture is just the sort of thing I mean. Of course from a tiling point of view to keep the border to the centre of the window looks neat.
However my wife feels that a verticle border should be offset (artistic) to one side. Going to be using 300mm * 600mm tiles in the verticle so I think we can start with a whole tile in the right corner, have 120mm wide in the left corner, this would leave slightly unequal cuts either side of the window of about 250mm???

heres the border
Border-Tile.jpg

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire

Tommyzoom - picture is just the sort of thing I mean. Of course from a tiling point of view to keep the border to the centre of the window looks neat.
However my wife feels that a verticle border should be offset (artistic) to one side. Going to be using 300mm * 600mm tiles in the verticle so I think we can start with a whole tile in the right corner, have 120mm wide in the left corner, this would leave slightly unequal cuts either side of the window of about 250mm???

heres the border
View attachment 45911

I wouldn't advise doing that, if the adjoining wall slopes in or away you will end up having to either shave the edges of you tiles or even worse end up with a large gap by the time you get to the top. Much better to have a cut into the wall...

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
id tell the wife it won't look artistic offset,it will look plain daft ;)
Unless the window is offset and you want the mosaic in the centre of the room and it works as you have said,i would put the mosaics in the middle like the pic above.

heres the border
View attachment 45911 [/QUOTE

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling a border into window recess (sill). in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've had a go at tiling our cloakroom loo and its going ok, (I am extremely slow, it...
Replies
Views
Hi all so I thought I would ask advise on this before starting tomorrow.... Situation is tiling...
Replies
Views
Hi gents, Two questions. Is there a correct and easier way to tile above a window recess so...
Replies
Views
S
Hi Fellas. I've (nearly) finished tiling my en-suite walls now and want to start on the window...
Replies
Views
S
S
Hi all I am planning on tiling my window will with 5 slate tiles. They are around 8mm thick...
Replies
Views
Seagull27
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.