Discuss Tiling a Border in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

The time has come in my bathroom refurbishment to do the actual tiling. I have planned for a mosaic border at about 1m high and am trying to decide on the best way of doing this. My plan was to rip a batten the same width as the border plus the grout line top and bottom. Then screw this to the wall at the level of the border and tile above an below it. The tiles are plain 400x250mm ceramics, nothing expensive. Then when the adhesive has set remove the batten which will leave a gap where the border is to go. I can then fit in the border to the right depth.

Is there a better or easier way?

As a secondary question, what adhesive do people here prefer for tiling onto cement board and tanked plasterboard? Looking for a cost-effective solution so will probably go for a powdered adhesive as I don't mind mixing it myself.

Andrew

T

Time's Ran Out

Cement Based flexible waterproof adhesive for tiles over 300x300mm.
For the border - I'd tile the bottom to the height you require, cut a strip of the same tile to the size of the border and use the spacers for the grout lines (place in position) then tile above. This way you can check that the surfaces of the top and bottom tiling are perpendicular and flat and also that the joints line up.
When the tiling is dry enough to remove the 'filler' piece, if you need to build out the gap for a thinner mosaic you can do so with template to the thickness of the adhesive/mosaic and press the mosaic into place.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

As TJ above for me, the template John refers to is like this, but horizontal instead of vertical, same principal.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 52
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling a Border in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I have a very small area (1m.sq) on an exterior doorway entrance wall to tile. I would...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm tiling the floor of a wetroom and would like some advice on the best way to lay the...
Replies
Views
Hi All! Total DIY’er here- we’re in a project house which has drained us, and one of the final...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Cambridge

Thread Information

Title
Tiling a Border
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.