UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss tiling a floor @ 45 degree angle in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

CRAIG G

hi guys, just wanting to hear some different views on this. I was out giving some advice( well i thought i was) and a price for a kitchen floor that the customer wanted tiled at a 45 degree angle, which was fine but she asked how this would be done, i told her i would square the room, swing arcs, etc and get all the lines needed for tiling at a 45 degree angle and start from the corner that would look best but she told me this was wrong and that her bricklaying husband told her it should be squared off from the door, tiles turned to 45 and taken from there, i replied that if it was wrist band etc that i proberly would square it from the door but not when i was tiling at 45 degrees, needless to say i wasnt happy, she wasnt happy and i dont think ill be getting the job, lol. oh and i would have squared it off from the door if thats what she requested but she was just extremley rude.

so im interested, ive always squared the room when doing 45, what about all of you?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Why aren't you in the arms mate? Just thought I'd ask.

When tiling to 45 degrees it often doesn't matter where the set out is IMO as you're never perfectly lining up with things and unless walls are all square you'll end up with small triangle cuts and large ones everywhere anyway. , but it's important to square off whatever the feature is IMO. So door if they want that. Aga if they have one. Another room if it's knocked through etc.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I would always be looking for either the longest straight line to work off or any feature, but before I lay any tile, wall or floor, I always show the customer where the small cuts would be be and if they are happy with that. If they're not then we move it until they are. The customer cannot then come back to you and say 'don't like those thin bits along that wall'. I always advise whats looks best aesthetically, the customer ultimately makes the decision.

J

jwatson

its all about what looks the best. you can advise them but ultimately the customer is paying and they get what they want.
Why aren't you in the arms mate? Just thought I'd ask.

When tiling to 45 degrees it often doesn't matter where the set out is IMO as you're never perfectly lining up with things and unless walls are all square you'll end up with small triangle cuts and large ones everywhere anyway. , but it's important to square off whatever the feature is IMO. So door if they want that. Aga if they have one. Another room if it's knocked through etc.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
When I did my outside passage I marked the centre line at either end. Measured out at intervals from this centre line to make sure it was reasonably equidistant from the sides all the way along. His marked my longitudinal centre. Did the same in the other plane to mark the latitudinal centre plonked a tile right smack in the middle so that the corners of the tile intersected each line and worked out from there. I was using 6inch quarries. Mind you it scuppered me a bit when I found that the black ones were about 10mm smaller than the reds. I decided to lay all the reds then lay the blacks in the gaps.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Sommat like this....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342454634.375993.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342454643.702875.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tiling a floor @ 45 degree angle in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
I have a small kitchen with a floor area of 265cm x 140cm with the door recess adding another 20...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.