Discuss Tiling a hearth in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

sandy10

Hi,

I've got a concrete hearth to the outside of my fireplace which continues inside the fireplace.

Onto which, we're going to sit either a standard grate for an open fire, or a woodburner.

We want to tile with something like 10mm thick slate tiles.

Would these be ok for using under a grate?

Additionally, what size grout joints do you recommend and also which type of adhesive and grout for a "fire" application.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Are you fitting a wood burner stove or is it a grate ? If it is a wood burner stove then it might be ok to tile as the burner is sitting on the hearth what I was suggesting was that if you was having an open fire there is a lot more heat from the grate I have in the past tile under the grate with quarrys and they have all cracked and come lose with the heat in my opinion the adhesive and grout would fail if fitting an open fire, if you do want to tile the hearth then the tile should be bedded with fire cement and grouted with fire cement .

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling a hearth in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm embarking on tiling a kitchen, wall-to-wall (under washing machine etc). most of the floor...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi there I’m new to Tile Forum and joined to get professional opinions because I really need...
Replies
Views
Dear TilersForum Thank you so much for the outstanding advice and expert information over time...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB