UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling a recess in wet room with mosaic - debate?! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

willis

Hi all, we are currently having our bathroom tiled for a wet room and bought mosaics for the shower recess. However, even though we have spent heavily on the top trims for edgings elsewhere, the tiler has grouted the mosaics 'up' to the edge of the recesses without using the trims and says that this is the only way he can do it?
In all honesty - I have never seen a recess without a trim so can anyone advise here - can mosaics simply be grouted in to look good on an edge wihtout a trim? We cert dont want this anyway as he's not finished but cant imagine getting a good finsh with main vertical tile edges slightly chipped running up to recess edge anyway. As it stands we will have to remove them and re position to fit an edging trim in, but find it hard to believe that 'any' recesses would not be finshed off without an edging strip? Opinions much appreciated! Basically, dare anyone say - we're being fed a load a bull?!!

Cheers Willis

W

willis

IMG00345-20120323-1149.jpg

Hi and thanks for quick reply - it is a new build and so will have to take one tomorrow as not in yet, though I do have this pic which was taken just before mosaics went in - as said they have been done so they run right up to the edge and we find it hard to believe they would look good without trims on the edge when expensive trims have been elsewhere. ps the mosaics are from Topps a sort of silver coloured metal - about £14 per sheet? thanks Willis

R

ruairi mac

As above, I have done it both ways in the past, as long as the mosaic has a nice finished edge I would do it the same way as your tiler. However, it is your house and if you want the trim then he really should have used it.There is no reason why it couldn't be used it is just individual opinion. Did you specify beforehand that you wanted it used in the recess?

As Bri said it looks like he's done a great job so far. would like to see pics when its finished??

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Dependant upon the finish on the edge of the mosaic, this can determine whether or not a trim needs to be used. However, some trims look completely out of place next to some tiles and some trims lend themselves to give a lovely finish. Ultimately, the decision is down to the customer, and the tiler should follow their requests.

W

White Room

Dependant upon the finish on the edge of the mosaic, this can determine whether or not a trim needs to be used. However, some trims look completely out of place next to some tiles and some trims lend themselves to give a lovely finish. Ultimately, the decision is down to the customer, and the tiler should follow their requests.

This should have been discussed with the customer from the start to save any problem, communication is god...

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling a recess in wet room with mosaic - debate?! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi am tiling a wet room with 5mm thick porcelain mosaic tiles (hexagons 5x5cm). The wet room is...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
We decided to replace the mosaic floor tiles in our wet room (2m x 2m). I've removed the tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi. I am looking for a product recommendation of a black stain for unsealed mosaic wet room...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 54066
D
We have professionals in, installing a new bathroom and a downstairs toilet. The tiles were...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.