Discuss tiling a sealed gypsum screed??? Advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davy_G

Hi all,
I was looking at a friends not so new, new build this evening.

He wants a decent amount of tiling done. The main job is on a sealed gypsum screed.
The screed was put in and polished about a year ago. It is over a wet UFH system.

They where advised to seal the screed with an water based arcylic sealer, this was done.

It looks very much like a garage floor paint, with not much info on the used tin.

I intended to get the UFH turned down to +/-10C. Prime with SBR (this is the bit i have the problem with!) and tile with flexi addy & grout.

The problem i have is the floor is highly polished and the sealer is quite glossy. and the worrying bit. Another chap, whos work they are not happy with, did the bathroom and the floor tiles have started to debond. The tiler supplied the adhesive and grout so i have no idea as to its suitability.
I hava asked my mate to lift some of the tiles as he is going to attempt a remair job and see where it has debonded, if its clean from the sealer and all the adhesive is on the tile that will worry me, if it pants adhesive then im happy enough to proceed.

I have an option to acid etch the sealer/paint, then prime. Whats your toughts? There is no point me putting down tiles for them to potentially lift, i dont want a call in 6 months time.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Ok with it being supaflo and I am assuming it's in Ireland it will be one of our screeds. Not generally suited to polishing but it is what it is. I would sand of the sealer that is on it and then treat it asa new screed I.e check it's dry, make sure the heating has been run up to temp, prime it if required the use a gypsum addy. Not sure who supplies in Ireland but pci and forbo flooring have them as well as reative impressions and nicobond. You are unlikey to find these adhesives in tile outlets and will probably need to contact the manufacturers themselves. If you decide to us ement the priming is critical. Make sure you use a good quality penetrative primer, ideally epoxy.

D

davy_G

Ok with it being supaflo and I am assuming it's in Ireland it will be one of our screeds. Not generally suited to polishing but it is what it is. I would sand of the sealer that is on it and then treat it asa new screed I.e check it's dry, make sure the heating has been run up to temp, prime it if required the use a gypsum addy. Not sure who supplies in Ireland but pci and forbo flooring have them as well as reative impressions and nicobond. You are unlikey to find these adhesives in tile outlets and will probably need to contact the manufacturers themselves. If you decide to us ement the priming is critical. Make sure you use a good quality penetrative primer, ideally epoxy.

Yep in N Ireland. We intend to remover the sealer/paint by sanding (well my mate will). Your right about gypsum addy not being available over here, im struggling.
Would you recommed this type of epoxy primer? Not something ive come across before!
PCI Epoxy Primer VG 7
I was going to use a couple of coats of latex based primer, SBR
http://www.**************/acatalog/siliconing_tiles.html

Thanks in advance for the valuable advice...

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rich

I would spend an hour or so in front of the computer and do a good old search on here about it. I have done a couple now (with the help of the guys on here especially Ajax). I used the Weber gypsum adhesive. The problem I found is that so few people know about it, I phoned my weber supplier and they had never heard of it, phoned weber and they had never heard of it!! I had to get hold of Allen to give me the number of the one guy in the country that knows what I was going on about.

It will be fine as long as you follow the advice given by Mr Ajax.

Reply to tiling a sealed gypsum screed??? Advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
tiling a sealed gypsum screed??? Advice needed
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.