UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling A Wet Room in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Proper Job

Tiling a wet room i would not recommend for the novice tiler. I have been asked so many questions about wet rooms from tilers and even shops, They mainly fail due to the correct procedure not been followed, now somebody said on here use moasics yes look great and easy to apply but you need to know what your doing, it must be primed well and 2 - 3 coats will not go a miss either to the floor. Now we all know that grout is very porous and the more grout joints there are the more water can escape to the subfloor if not grouted up to spec. Even the best grouts absorb water even in swiming pools. Downstair wetrooms are no where as bad as upstairs because if they get a leak there not going to really know about it unless the tiles start failing. Also one last note is that when installing mosiacs you can not get a really thick soild be of adhesive down and depending on how thick they are your looking at 3mm - 4.5mm notched trowel max which would give you about 1-2 mm soild bed.

Hope this helps

D

DHTiling

If a wet room floor is prepped properly then you will not get a leak unless the waste leaks....I tank the floors ( upstairs ) with either dira mat and kerdi tape to seal the joints or you can use kerdi mat alone depending on the sub-floor...
I also tank the walls using kerdi mat and kerdi tape all joints and corners...
The key to a successful wet room is the correct prep work and usage of the correct adhesive to suit the substrates and appropiate grouts....:thumbsup:

J

JFRWhipple

Good Day men.

Hello from Vancouver, Canada.

I'm doing a presentation next week for Build Ex (Canadian Trade Show for Builders, Designers and Architects) on the subject of Steam Showers. I wanted to update you all on the Kerdi DS I asked about a couple years back. The product is now available for steam shower builds in Canada where a new Perm requirement has been set by the TTMAC for commercial steam showers.

What I can not find online anywhere is recommend approaches for addressing the penetrations of items like the Shower Arm, Flow Valves and the like. What do you British Boys use?

I have had good success and zero failures with Noble Sealant 150 and Kerdi Fix. I'm testing some heat heat sealant I bought a marine hardware store last week but have not had the time to really put this mock up through the paces.

I find it irritating that the different suppliers do not come out with any real direction. Things like "Follow manufactures guidelines" "Seal penetrations" and "Follow suppliers recommendations" are constantly mentioned but this sends you in a circle. Not one company or organization detailing this.

In Canada out TTMAC (Terrezo Tile and Marble Association) recommends no steam shower be built by a non-member with less than 5 years experience.

Is there similar restrictions in the UK? What is your tile council called?

JW

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling A Wet Room in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
O
I am soon to start a job which will have a underfloor heating mat in a wet room. I am wondering...
Replies
Views
Ollie02948
O
R
Hi All, Im fitting a wetroom with a toilet and basin in a 3m x3m enclosed area in the garage...
Replies
Views
P
As a newbie to a Wet Room I have just inherited I am hoping you can help me. I have a 2/3 Bar...
Replies
Views
plug_it_in
P
  • Article
If you've been on any of the Goldtrowel Tiling Courses then please leave feedback and reviews in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.