Discuss Tiling a Wetroom/bathroom for the first time. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

cgadmin23

Hi,

I am attempting to tile my bathroom for the first time turning it into a wetroom/bathroom. I have bought an Aquadry wetroom kit which comes with waterproof boards.
The bathroom is on the 2nd floor and it has an existing wooden floor. (floor boards)
My questions are as follows:

1) Do I need to lay any plyboard down beneath the waterproof boards or are the waterproof boards all I need?

2) If a plyboard lay is required what thickness is needed. I am trying to avoid a step if possible.

3) What sort of adhesive is required for a wetroom and can anyone suggest a good quality make and supplier.

This is the first time I have tried anything like this so I may have bitten off more than I can chew. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

W

wetdec

Hi,

I am attempting to tile my bathroom for the first time turning it into a wetroom/bathroom. I have bought an Aquadry wetroom kit which comes with waterproof boards.
The bathroom is on the 2nd floor and it has an existing wooden floor. (floor boards)
My questions are as follows:

1) Do I need to lay any plyboard down beneath the waterproof boards or are the waterproof boards all I need?

Yes you do the aquadry is a first generation base made of insulation board brought out by BnQ as they jump om the band wagonso will need supporting all over its not as strong as the new bases made of grp & eps.

2) If a plyboard lay is required what thickness is needed. I am trying to avoid a step if possible.
You will have the installation details when you bought the base kit this is also available in pdf format

3) What sort of adhesive is required for a wetroom and can anyone suggest a good quality make and supplier.

Any general flexible floor adhesive is suitable

This is the first time I have tried anything like this so I may have bitten off more than I can chew. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

The impey needs underboarding as well so the video from Oli will show you how to underboard much the same as the install instructions you have. The drain install is totally different unfortunately you will need to check the documentation you have.

W

wetdec

Hi m8

Ok this is a bit of a mess........lets try and clear it up

your existing floor if its chipboard should be overboarded with 10mm wpb ply wood, the alternative is use cement boards or totally remove and replace with 22mm ply.

This is where it gets iffy as you should of been advised b4 you bought this £900.00 kit.......

To use the B&Q kit you need to overboard your floor with their insulation/waterproof board, this is not a cement board to strengthen like the ply would do, they use it as their membrane.

So by buying the kit to go onto a chipboard floor you will effectively raise your floor height by the depth of ply + the depth of their waterproofing board which is quite laughable.

Your choices are really quite simple :

Have a step up into your bathroom

Keep the tray and return the rest this will allow you to use an off the roll membrane around 0.6mm thick

Take it all back and we start from scratch probably saving you £400 +

Are you on an existing chipboard floor ??

As a matter of interest as they dont tell you in their literature how thick are these waterproofing boards ??

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cornish_crofter

That wasnt strictly what I was trying to achieve as cg is obviously in a bit of a knot and new to this, just want him on the right road ...............

I know, but for his money it's by far the easiest route IMO, and I'm speaking as one who was in a similar position only a few months ago.

As for the vote of confidence, no problem. :thumbsup:

C

cgadmin23

Hi Wetdec

I agree. Raising the floor twice seems ludicrous.

My floor is made from standard floor boards, so I expect I need to lay at least a 12mm Ply board?

I will return the waterproof boards and go with a membrane on top as this will keep the height down. Can you suggest a good quality off the roll membrane and supplier?

Regards

Chris

p.s Thanks for your assistance

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling a Wetroom/bathroom for the first time. in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi all! So I got to a job yesterday downstairs wetroom floor with mains underfloor heating...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB