Discuss Tiling bathroom floor - bitten off more than I can chew? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

Andrew F

Morning all,
I'm at a bit of a crossroads tiling my upstairs bathroom floor:
I've taken up 2/3rds of the tiles already there and they're leaving a lot of adhesive behind on the 12mm ply they were laid on. So - once I've finished with the old tiles - I would prefer to take the ply up as well and start completely from scratch. I believe the ply is screwed into floorboards underneath. The room is about 2.3m square.
I'm wondering what my options are for what to put down, working up from the floorboards, to make the surface to tile on. I've read around the forum boards and there's mention of 6mm and 12mm ply and Hardibacker sheets, too (which I recall seeing in Topps Tiles when we got the stuff we're using).
In case it makes any difference, the tiles I'm using are Zamora Brown 30x30 for the floor and at the same time we got those we also got Bal single part flex adhesive and Bal superflex w/j grout. The walls are being done too, but hopefully they won't require as much thought when I get to them...
BTW this isn't my day job! I'm just a weekend DIYer but have been well-pleased with tiling I've done in the past, but those projects required much less thought than this...
Any guidance appreciated! Thanks!!
Andrew

M

marke

:welcome:hi mate i think your along the right lines IMO take the ply up and replace with same but does somewhat depend on which tiles you are laying , providing there is no movement in the floor you can just prime the floor and tile away ( i personally always like to use 2 part flexi in reboarded upstairs bathrooms) , but that can be considered a bit belt and braces although is security against even the smallest of movement.

good luck:thumbsup:

A

Andrew F

Thanks guys!

So: replace the ply and prime it, and don't be distracted by Hardibacker - the ply will be enough (it certainly seems to be the case based on what's already there - no cracks at all).

Just to be sure: what's the difference between 2 part and single part? And what do I need to apply to the ply to prime it?

Thanks again for the quick response. This site is an absolute godsend - very friendly and informative.

C

Colour Republic

Hi Andrew, if the floor is already solid (and the previous tiles/grout showed no sign cracking) on I would be tempted to put a self levelling compound over the lot to give you something nice to tile on. If they have indeed screwed the ply down (which they should have) you won't find it very easy to lift and could make a mess of the floor boards below. If you wanted to go the whole hog then by all means go for it and start afresh but SLCing over the lot would be completely acceptable IMO, quicker, cheaper and easier

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling bathroom floor - bitten off more than I can chew? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
I'm tiling my shower. I've got a pony wall and would like a grout line to line up with the top...
Replies
Views
We recently completed the (rectified porcelain) floor tile installation in the bathroom and...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB