Discuss Tiling bathroom walls with travertine... in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

pavsideris

Hi all,

I've ordered some travertine tiles 610 x 406 x 12mm, to tile our bathroom floor & walls.

How can I ensure they will stick to the walls properly? How do I know the walls are good enough to take the weight?

They are thermalite block walls, rendered with a 12-15mm thick layer of mortar, with a mm or two of plaster skimmed over the top. They were previously tiled, but i've removed those already. Here's a photo...

a81f28ad1e4b1c06ac5ad99de7230e94.jpg

P

pavsideris

Hi, sorry for not posting back, not sure what happened.

I ended up boarding the walls with hardiebacker - very good decision there, as would have been a disaster otherwise! Take note anyone else reading this!

Only problem was that the boards weren't completely level, as in they didn't lie completely flat and flush against the wall, partly due to uneven walls, but also as the backer boards aren't 100% flat. This in turn made tiling very difficult in some areas - any tips on how to overcome that?

Other regret is not putting levelling compound down on the floor before laying waterproof matting. I assumed the floor was level enough to not bother - big mistake! I've managed to work round it, by building uneven areas up with tile adhesive,but not an ideal job, and not a perfect finish.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling bathroom walls with travertine... in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. I’ve recently moved in to a new build property...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Greetings All, appreciate the expertise existing in this forum. I am a home remodeler, not a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB