Discuss Tiling Bathroom Walls in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

H

Happy Tiler

After I've shot the plasterer :mad2: (plastered onto dry old mortar which should have been removed, now have 'hollow spots' everywhere!) and made good the walls which, if left, would definitely see me picking tiles off the floor at some future date, I'll be ready to start tiling!

I've planned out the position of the tiles as best as I can and drawn lines on the walls to get an idea of what it'll look like but I would appreciate some feedback.
I'll try to be as concise as possible and explain it as best I can so hopefully you'll get the picture.

The bath fits snugly within 3 opposing walls. The left hand wall has two windows; one is above the bath (short end) and flush to the corner wall. The second smaller window has a higher sill with
toilet in front, the basin is centred on the wall between the two windows.

The tiles are 40 x 25cm and I'm placing them long side up. Originally I planned to have a 3/4 cut tile up from the bath flush to the window sill above starting with a full tile above this because I know the general consensus is that it's best not to come off the bath with a full tile. However, coming off the bath witha 3/4 tile would mean I end up with just a 1 and half inch cut tile to the floor, and 4" cut to the ceiling. I'm talking inches for simplicity, metric makes me dizzy.

By the same token, a full tile from the bath up would have meant starting a new tile midway between the toilet cistern and sill above, and the basin with the wall cabinet. As these are also focal points, I would prefer not to have a grout line here. It would however, leave approx 6" cut tile to floor level and a 3/4 cut tile to the ceiling. So, if I placed a border at this midpoint, it would then give me a 3/4 cut tile to ceiling and a 6" cut to the floor. Also, the bath is virtually level all the way round within a 1mm discrepancy.

The bath wall lengthwise will fit 7 full tiles nicely, the same is true of the window wall. The right hand wall however is an L shaped wall and comes off the bath then goes into a small recess 14" depth. This wall, corner to corner will take 6 full tiles with 1" to spare! Would it look odd if I have a 5" cut in the internal corner and a 6"ut at the external corner? I hate small slivers of cut tiles and will avoid them where ever possible. No problem with remaining walls, just this one. What would you advise please??

All comments greatfully received

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling Bathroom Walls in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB