Discuss Tiling bathrooms and toilets in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

L

leaky5

I am currently buying a new house and at the moment are not planning on having the tiling done by the developer.

Obviously this means the bathrooms and toilets will be finished by the time we get into the house.

Is it worth seeing if our tiler can get into the property before the toilets go in or is it fairly easy for a professional to tile around toilet bowls ? Altough this won't be as neat.

nybor62

TF
rotherham
Re: Tling bathrooms and toilets

all ways better to get the tiling done first. leave all sanitary work out except for bath and shower tray. whats the reason for not using the builders ,tiling contractors , are the tile choices not to your liking.i know in most cases the builder will keep a 5% retention from the tiling contractor, so if you should have a problem say after a few months they would get the contractor back to sort it out. will you get the same service if you use your own contractor, i know you should , but you never know

P

puddle

As said check with developed, do not think they will be to keen, not only is it about his handover payment but also the payment of the plumber, joiner ect working on the site, the prices will be minimum and do not allow for any mess about or special finishes, this is why maybe your tiller is cheaper than that quoted by developer as the above has to be taken into account
Be very careful when asking for developer to change things with other conractors involved, as can easily go wrong and your tiller or yourself, could easily be blaimed ,even if not your faults
If you wish to use your own tiler,a w/c and basin do not take a lot to remove and put back and the extra it will cost when the property has been handed over will be far outweighed by the great tiling job that will be able to be done with their removal and the knowledge, the developer cannot blame you for any works done incorrectly before hand over
Remember
When you look around your new house, you see and beautiful future home and act accordingly, the developer, just sees tight margins and act accordingly
:builder2:
imho

Last edited by a moderator:
L

leaky5

Have you agreed this with the developer..?.. because he cannot get his final valuation payment when a house is not complete for handover..

Not quite sure what you mean by this. The house is coming with no flooring at all. We got the house quite a lot cheaper because of this.

I am waiting for a quote for one bathroom to see how they come in price wise. I have been pleasantly surprised by some of their prices for extras so far.

They won't let our contractors in before completion and they won't let their contractor use our tiles for warranty purposes.

D

diamondtiling

If you are getting good prices why not get your plumber to fit it after its tiled and ask the developer for a price for first fix plumbing only?

Id be very cautious of having tiles laid and then some ham fisted site plumber (no offence to ham fisted site plumbers intended) fit the stuff over top.

:lol::lol:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling bathrooms and toilets in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I really need some pro advice as I have just had a bathroom fitted and the tiling...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 53945
D
We’re currently having our bathrooms fully redone including stripping back, boarding, tiling...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB