Discuss Tiling beside bath - tile from floor or bath up? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mossop

I had assumed that when tiling on the long wall beside a bath that the bath would be installed and tiling would commence from the bath up.

A tiler informed me that he usually tiles from the floor up first, then once completed, the bath is installed. It means if the bath is changed to a new bath or to a shower unit that that section of the wall does not subsequently have to be tiled with tiles that may no longer be available in any case.

If the tiling is put in first from the floor, does the bath still need a full length timber along the wall (under the bath lip) to support it to help prevent the seal along the wall from breaking?

All the floor would be tiled, including under the bath.

M

Mossop

Baths are fitted first, then tiling commences afterwards.

Tiling a whole room including under a bath is a waste of time and money unless it is a fully free standing bath.
Aside from the cost of the additional tiles, as I think I might buy in enough tiles that would allow tiling below the bath if this were ever needed e.g. if the bath was changed or changed to a shower unit. It's probably a good idea to have the tiles as probably wouldn't be able to buy an exact match in the future if ever required.

So considering the additional cost would solely be the labour, and this probably isn't going to be a great deal more since it would only be the area of a bath wall.

Would there potentially be a gap between the tiles and bath if the bath is pushed up against a tiled wall? The floor would be tiled under the bath right up to the wall.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling beside bath - tile from floor or bath up? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB