UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling bonding in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bungle

Hi all, newbie tiler here.
ive recently finished a 3 day tiling course and now have a big house (4 flat conversion) to tile.

Im ok with the floors but I'm not sure about the walls. The plaster is pink but it is not smooth like finish plaster. I think it's bonding or hardall or something . The plasterer says its ok to tile on but I thought I'd get a 2nd opinion from you guys. The plasterer is Irish so he's no east European chancer.

Just wondering what you guys think ?

thanks in advance

B

Bungle

Thaks all. Just spoken to the plasterer and he says it's hardwall. I have to say it is very flat. He tiles himself and says its a perfect surface to tile onto

Andy. I will Pva the back of the tiles if you think that will help. My instructor never mentioned this on the course.

Alan m. I have always heard that Irish tradesmen were some of the best. I know the Easterns are rubbish.

Thanks again
happy tiling:hurray:

G

Gazzer

According to this info Broken Link Removed

Tiling
Tiles up to 20kg/m2 can be applied directly to the Thistle finish.
If plastering to provide a background for tiles, avoid polishing
the surface. Polished plaster surfaces should be roughened
and a suitable primer used. Tiles should not be applied
directly to Thistle undercoats, with the exception of
Thistle Dri-Coat.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bungle

I dont think he would have had time to tell you everything in 3 days
If you are unsure of anything then ask here.There are several hundred years of knowledge and experience to glean from.
You have made a good start already by asking a question keep it up.:thumbsup:

3 days!!!!!? :yikes:

Yea I reckon I have more to learn but I couldn't really afford the full 2 week course.

My mate did the one day course and all they taught him was tiling and grouting. Nothing about adhesives or setting out. He's gonna come with me on this conversion job

G

Gazzer

No I mean the plaster was that dry coat stuff. When I asked him he said it was a bit like hardwall but was for damp walls. The guy seems to know his stuff all right

So basically you dont know what you are tiling to ??

A good reputation takes years to achieve, a bad one minutes and can last a life time.....Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
Always know what you are doing and never take other trades word for it, when it fails, it will be your head on the chopping block, not theirs.

B

Bungle

ive met many plasters that still think its fine to tile on to under coat gypsum plaster, there famous saying is 'just p.v.a it'......hence my sarcastic comment...

how big is this job?......and how long have you been tilng?, knowing about the correct primers to use really is basic stuff...

Its 4 bathrooms, 2 ensuites and a small amount in 4 kitchens.

I did the course about a month ago so only been tiling 3 weeks.
im gonna use waterproof adhesive in the bathrooms and flexi on wooden floors

G

Gazzer

Its 4 bathrooms, 2 ensuites and a small amount in 4 kitchens.

I did the course about a month ago so only been tiling 3 weeks.
im gonna use waterproof adhesive in the bathrooms and flexi on wooden floors

Waterproof adhesive ? Epoxy is it ?

Flexi ? Adhesive? No backerboards ? direct to timber ?

You really need to start all over and 1st question is....What is this plaster on the wall? If its a backing plaster then it is no good to tile to.

G

Gazzer

From the PDF
Overview
Thistle Hardwall is a gypsum undercoat plaster for use on
most masonry. With a final coat of Thistle Multi-Finish, it
provides a smooth, inert, high quality surface to internal
walls. The combination has superior impact resistance, earlier
surface drying, a higher than normal resistance to efflorescence,
and gives a durable base for the application of decorative
finishes.

Tiling
Tiles up to 20kg/m2 can be applied directly to the Thistle finish.
If plastering to provide a background for tiles, avoid polishing
the surface. Polished plaster surfaces should be roughened
and a suitable primer used. Tiles should not be applied
directly to Thistle undercoats, with the exception of
Thistle Dri-Coat.

Reply to Tiling bonding in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm part re-tiling/plastering a bathroom, which as the pictures show, has masonary to...
Replies
Views
Sorry for asking a question that I already think i know the answer to but I just need...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi I am after some advice and opinion if the quality of our recently installed tiles is of an...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.