UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss tiling books, resources, etc in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tjsmiler

Hi mate

For me personally i now wish i had spent a hell of a lot more time learning about all the different products and how to prepare your substrate ready for tilling, there are loads of products out there and to me a lot of what is said goes right over my head, i would also learn more about how to do a good set out, is so so important mate, i still ask for help on it.

The actuall laying and cutting of the tiles comes while on the course and if like me you practice nipping when your at home at night then you should pick the basics up in no time, it's all the technical stuff i would recomend you concentrate on.

Thats just my opinion though feller. Remember that there is a lot of good experienced tilers on here and i have found that they are always willing to help out and there knowledge for me has been invaluable (APM & Smiths) so don't be scared to ask.

Good luck mate

Toby

T

tiler burden

yeah

plastering, floating out, dry lining, floor screeding etc. i have go fed up doing the same thing day in day out. the money is good you can make 200-250 a day no worries when you get your speed up toby. i know alot of people claim they are earning a grand a week, but you can do that and more when you speed increases. id say 300 a day is achieveable, depending on the job...say if you get 2 biggish ceilings, then their 180 each, so theres your 300 after materials. and thats finishing at 3pm!!
a decent sized living room will go for 350 or a small hall stairway and landing the same.

my dad was a tiler and i used to do his cuts and grout (ceramic only) so i am reasonably ok with cutters and snippers etc...i do have a good eye for patterns and detail, its just learning out to set out and getting some good tips and advice from a pro. i am not going on a 5 day course with no experience, its more of a case of being open minded. if i do know more than i realise, then thats ok, that will inspire confidence and maybe thats what i'll be looking to take away..plastering is full on hard work, so it will be nice to have a creative option...

if you need any advice on plastering , just say the word. you have helped me and i'll do the same mate, no worries.....ps is 150 a day a realistic ammount to earn on the domestic scene in decent areas???

tb

T

tjsmiler

TB

Cheers for that mate, i may certainly bend your ear about plastering from time to time and will deffinatley keep you in mind if i get a job that requires screeding before laying tiles ;)

I don't think i will do plastering full time as i enjoy tiling and there seems to be about an equal amount of money to be earned (i just quoted a kitchen at £385 and it should only take me a day and a half and they are paying for materials) not bad eh????:D and its only my second job.

I know what you mean about full on hard work fella, i'm a scaffolder by trade. Plastering, hod carrying and scaffolding... got to be the worst out the lot in terms of physical requirements anyway (who wants to be handling freezing cold wet steel 150 feet in the air for a living in a game that has the highest death rate in construction) not me mate, thats for sure. Used to love it but it can't take you anywhere as it's very hard to get private work because of the materials needed and lorry etc.......and to get properly started up on your own you need at least 20K, and besides the health and safety have now almost totaly killed the game, we can't move without one of them taking a photo or telling us how to do our job.

Sorry mate i have gone off the subject slightly..by the way i am far from being a pro tiler, i only come out the centre 4 weeks ago but i'm buzzing and got tons of work lined up... if you get yourself amongst it (and being a plasterer you shouldn't find that hard;) and use your contacts you'll do really well mate.

Good luck and keep me posted

Toby

M

malawhap

yeah

plastering, floating out, dry lining, floor screeding etc. i have go fed up doing the same thing day in day out. the money is good you can make 200-250 a day no worries when you get your speed up toby. i know alot of people claim they are earning a grand a week, but you can do that and more when you speed increases. id say 300 a day is achieveable, depending on the job...say if you get 2 biggish ceilings, then their 180 each, so theres your 300 after materials. and thats finishing at 3pm!!
a decent sized living room will go for 350 or a small hall stairway and landing the same.

my dad was a tiler and i used to do his cuts and grout (ceramic only) so i am reasonably ok with cutters and snippers etc...i do have a good eye for patterns and detail, its just learning out to set out and getting some good tips and advice from a pro. i am not going on a 5 day course with no experience, its more of a case of being open minded. if i do know more than i realise, then thats ok, that will inspire confidence and maybe thats what i'll be looking to take away..plastering is full on hard work, so it will be nice to have a creative option...

if you need any advice on plastering , just say the word. you have helped me and i'll do the same mate, no worries.....ps is 150 a day a realistic ammount to earn on the domestic scene in decent areas???

tb

:) I know what you mean TB i,m a plasterer too and it,s getting bleeding harder these days (getting older) and i too fancy doing a little tiling as well just for a change and to rest the old arm and back.:wink_smile:

C

Concept PHT

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tiling books, resources, etc in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 45m2 of 1.2 x 1.2 Mirage 9mm floor tiles to lay. Never done this size before. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.