Discuss Tiling course at YTA Bradford has gone horribly wrong in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MightyDrew

Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice / help by somebody in the know or anybody who has done a similar course, as I fear I have been robbed by YTA.

I spent £1,350 on City & Guilds training courses at YTA Bradford - I passed all courses but then afterwards I was told they lost City & Guilds accreditation so I can't get my certificates!

I paid so much for the courses believing I would get the certificates which I would use to prove my training, which would then enable me to get work as a tiler. I could've done the exact same courses for half the price without the C&G certificates. Now, if I want the proper certificates I will have to pay to do some more courses at a proper training centre.

They won't refund me anything, not even half the costs (as if I had done the non-accreddited courses).

It has turned out to be a very expensive mistake using them.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
Certificates, or no certificates. Answer is can you do the job?

i have quite a few of them.
Plumbing (4 years at college, city and guilds advanced craft) no one has ever asked for them.
gas safe ( been registered sines 1988) 1, yes one person has asked for my card!
Tiling is about 50% of my job, been charging for it for about 18 years. No one has ever asked for qualifications.

i believe if your working on sites you may need qualifications. But domestic private houses you don't. You just need aptitude for the job, knowledge about the substrate and product you are using. Quality tools to do a quality job and confidence to advise and the customer.

dont beat yourself up over a price of paper, I know you have psid and worked hard for it.
Move on and just do the best you can tiling.
good luck.:thumbsup:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Tbh I find this quite sad.....sad in the fact that you can take a £1350 course and believe you can find work as a tiler with City and guilds certificates. ...
Seems some company's will do anything to sell there courses. .....did they tell you about the 100k a year you can earn aswell. .

£1350, Jesus Christ.
Gotta admit chalker hit the nail on the head, never once in in nigh on 30 years have I been asked for Certs ,even on sites I've had the misfortune to work on , as long as they can see you can do the job it's usually enough

M

MightyDrew

I can understand what you guys are saying. Yes, I can tile now. I went on the course and learnt the very basics, I got some kit and managed to get in with a tiler that let me work with him for a while. I learnt so much from him. I should've just paid him £1,350 to train me lol. Since leaving him I have done quite a few really nice jobs and have earnt that £1,350 back now for sure. So it's definitely not the end of the world and it isn't going to stop me being a tiler because I love it.

My main annoyance is that I had really good intentions at the start - to get properly trained and start out on a path to getting all my NVQ's etc to become a professional tiler. It's YTA that I'm annoyed at. I came here and read the reviews for them before deciding whether to go with them. I will be happy if this post at least helps people that are thinking of using YTA to stay away from them. In my experience I haven't got what I paid a lot of money for, they weren't helpful or very honest about it all and I would never recommend them to anyone.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I can understand what you guys are saying. Yes, I can tile now. I went on the course and learnt the very basics, I got some kit and managed to get in with a tiler that let me work with him for a while. I learnt so much from him. I should've just paid him £1,350 to train me lol. Since leaving him I have done quite a few really nice jobs and have earnt that £1,350 back now for sure. So it's definitely not the end of the world and it isn't going to stop me being a tiler because I love it.

My main annoyance is that I had really good intentions at the start - to get properly trained and start out on a path to getting all my NVQ's etc to become a professional tiler. It's YTA that I'm annoyed at. I came here and read the reviews for them before deciding whether to go with them. I will be happy if this post at least helps people that are thinking of using YTA to stay away from them. In my experience I haven't got what I paid a lot of money for, they weren't helpful or very honest about it all and I would never recommend them to anyone.

Good post, glad you have been working with a tiler, and yes it would of been better paying a tradesman than some tin pot place [emoji106]

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Tbh I find this quite sad.....sad in the fact that you can take a £1350 course and believe you can find work as a tiler with City and guilds certificates. ...
Seems some company's will do anything to sell there courses. .....did they tell you about the 100k a year you can earn aswell. .

That was the plumbing course at 100k a year earnings Andy :sofahide:

T

Time's Ran Out

The problem is Mighty Drew we here in this forum are not allowed to post comments in the Training section of this site by order of the owner!
You see it is thought that we are so negative in our responses to the expectations and charges that are advertised in these training centres that it will affect the support given to the running of the forum.
Hence you have had to find out the unfortunate way and I should only advise that you take up your issues with the owner who may be able to pass your concerns onto his sponsor ( if indeed they are as I haven't a clue)!
All I can add to this post is anyone is considering a training course I'd suggest you contact a member - Deanotile- as he is passionate in respect of training.
If you consider it's misrepresentation then Trading Standards would be the way forward.

M

MightyDrew

Just out of interest how long was the course? I'd be more than happy fir someone to shadow me for a couple of weeks fir £1350.00 in my back pocket!
With the extra income and free-ish labour and could slash my prices down to that of the Eastern Europeans.

4 weeks total... 1 week plumbing, 1 week plastering, 2 weeks tiling.

Believe it or not, that was a "4 for the price of 3 deal" meaning I got it cheaper. It should've been £1,800!!!

T

The D

Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice / help by somebody in the know or anybody who has done a similar course, as I fear I have been robbed by YTA.

I spent £1,350 on City & Guilds training courses at YTA Bradford - I passed all courses but then afterwards I was told they lost City & Guilds accreditation so I can't get my certificates!

I paid so much for the courses believing I would get the certificates which I would use to prove my training, which would then enable me to get work as a tiler. I could've done the exact same courses for half the price without the C&G certificates. Now, if I want the proper certificates I will have to pay to do some more courses at a proper training centre.

They won't refund me anything, not even half the costs (as if I had done the non-accreddited courses).

It has turned out to be a very expensive mistake using them.
do you know what the qualification was ? i doubt it was a diploma so more likely something like the 6219 http://www.cityandguilds.com/qualif...onstruction-skills#tab=information&acc=level1 this is a taster and was never designed to be a passage in to the trade. more a passage on to the diploma 1 then 2 and then on to do the NVQ 1 or 2 if you are lucky enough to be working in the industry by then.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling course at YTA Bradford has gone horribly wrong in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
Courses : Tiling Courses Tiling Taster Course 1 Day Spend a day at YTA and tile a small kitchen...
Replies
Views
Jeanette
J
G
Hi I have just joined the site having completed a 4 week course to gain a City and Guilds Level...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J
P
Hi all, Having done research on quite a few courses I was wondering what experiences others...
Replies
Views
T
So.... Signed up to the forum, looked at loads of threads (found the one about poor workmanship...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB