Discuss tiling course in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

oddjob

Hi my name is keith I am 47 years old I have been a screen printer for thirty years I am being made redundant in april and am looking at changing my career by doing a for week city and guilds course in tiling. I have done floor and wall tiling in my own home and have had many positive comments one by a tiler by trade. what I want to know is there the work out there for a tiler? will my age go against me if I want to work with a tiling company? Am I wasting my money on the course. Thank you for any replies.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hey OddJob. 47 aint old. It's all about the experience. Plus, I always used to say, a bit of grey hair in a company always sells over and above the young cold-caller type guy.

It will be all about the experience, but then the quality of work you can provide. It's not often about time, so never rush (or take on a job that needs rushing) a job, and just spend time getting it right. Speed always comes with time, as it does with anything. But skill comes with practice. As you probably know. Feel like I'm teaching somebody to suck eggs here, I'm only 21. :lol:

K

kgbviktor

Hi Mate,
As above,its that experience thing again-its not just tiling,HGV,FLT driving etc are all going the same way-no experience-no work.The only option for a lot of new trainee's is to go self employed.A point to bare in mind is that the market is awash with new trades people,all with a few weeks training under their belts and zero real work experience.You only have to look at the various training sponsors on this forum.Ableskills,NETT,Chase etc are all banging x amount of tilers,plasterers,plumbers out onto a saturated domestic market.Yes, a few will have the skills,determination,drive to make it,the rest will go under.I think you should have a serious think about this before parting with your money.Ask family,friends+drinking mates if they would give you any work if you were already trained.I don't want to put you off,just do a lot of research in the area where you intend to set up your business.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
Anything is posible to achieve if you have the commitment and desire to do it, as for the work out there again there is plenty of work if you put the effort in to go and find it, it doesnt come to you.
Learn how to do the job correctly, start off with some easy straight forward jobs, take your time, get them right and build from there. You wont get a city and guilds on a weeks course as they take a lot longer than that for that qual, i wouldnt let your age put you off, 47 aint that old, more mature and wise than old, you'll be fine, just take the plunge and see where it leads you, the 400 quid or so for the course will not be lost as you can allways get your money back by doing the odd tiling job here and there even if you dont do it full time
Regards
Darren

T

Time's Ran Out

Personally I'd use the 30 years experience in your own trade to set up a business for yourself.
Age isn't the issue here - its the time it will take for you you reach the level of skill/business that will provide an income to be able to enjoy tiling as a trade.
Look at combing the two - screen printing on tiles/cup etc - and see if there is a market for personalised/coporate marketing products.
Good luck and Welcome.

Reply to tiling course in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first timers here... I am tiling my bathrooms and prefer the look & neatness of tiling...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Where to get a Tiling NVQ Hi,I did the 4wk course in Warrington back in Sept, being a plasterer...
Replies
Views
DIY Tiling; Advice for DIY Tilers So long story short, I have just purchased my first house and...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
tiling course
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.