Discuss Tiling in our extension one wrong - any ideas?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

orchard

We have had an extension done to make our kitchen bigger by about 1/3rd. The house is only 3 years old and the floor is a floating floor - the extension floor was matched and is also floating. We have had underfloor electric mat heating put in then tiled over the lot....

The 'old' kitchen area was tiled previously and had no problems.....

We are now having significant problems with excessive movement but purely in the extension area.... the tiles are not cracking but the grout is basically cracking away and coming out in various places presumably where they are moving excessively.

the Tiler is coming back on Friday to try lifting a couple to see whats going on but I have to say I am panicking that the whole thing will have to come up (this is also underneath my £25k kitchen!!!!) and we will have to replace with Amtico or the like....

has anyone any ideas how we might resolve this....

G

Gazzer

Tiling floating floors is not really advised due to the nature of the movement. While you may have been lucky with the original floor you cant be sure that the new area has been built in the same way. Something has moved to give this problem. As you state the tiles have not cracked only the grout it could well be the wrong grout has been used. Without knowing more details its hard to say but I think you will find that most tilers will not tile on floating floors.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
i was asked to price a job last week on a floating floor....45m2 trav

i refused to quote even when the customer showed me the hallway that had been tiled 5yrs ago and showing no problems.

this is the problem with floating floors, for every floor thats tiled with out any problems theres another 5 that have failed.

very hit and miss and not worth it imo

O

orchard

He is subcontracted through my builder however is due back on Friday essentially to take a look at a couple of the tiles tak them out and see if they can identify problem...However everything I seem to be hearing is that the whole floor is essentially flawed...in particular extension area perhaps because of inconsistent matching of materials.
Someone did suggest potentially adding some sort of corrugated matting over the boards to try to reduce the movement or else to try fixing the boards to make it less 'floating' as it were...

Reply to Tiling in our extension one wrong - any ideas?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tiling in our extension one wrong - any ideas??
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.