Discuss TILING is there a right or wrong in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

Way to tile ! i have been thinking we can all recognise what we like to see to a finish tile job , but is this just anal on our part, tiling is the cladding (covering of a surface ) and if someone slaps them on any old how as-long as they don't come -off the job has been done and is fit for purpose right ?. it's just aesthetics after all,
i worked with an old bloke who said tiling is tiling and there is no right and wrong way of doing-it really just what peeps like to see, as long as you listen to your customer and do what they require then you have a satisfied customer ! right or wrong ?.
with Swimming pools there are several ways of going about this work, and i do sometimes con salt with my customers as to what they would like to see, just to try and please them, but other times i just get on :thumbsup: as it does my head in if you do what they say ,then they ask you to change it :yikes:. what do you guys think ?

I suppose the right/wrong way comes into it in terms of correct use of materials for varying substrates , using correct joints sizes ( although that can be down to asthetics too if you consult your customer ) etc. But as to asthetics , I try to consult if poss.

I generally consult when using borders or pattern tiles but also mention that there is no given as it all needs to be set out to give a pleasing finish over the whole job ( ie I don't want thin rips just to have a border at X height ) . Also if a house is extremely wonky ( this particularly applies to flooring ) then I tend to try and explain and ask where they would like to have the lines looking most parralel as we as tilers can't rebuild houses and can only tile to what there.

So to me it's mix of everything , right , wrong , asthetics , consultation , the latter sharing the onus with the customer for any future issues regarding finish.

Diggy

B

BoldreChris

I often worry about this - we work so hard to make it perfect and most customers couldn't tell us apart from the monkeys ! Beyond the basics - does it fall off first time they have a bath or leak when they take a shower - it is just aesthetics and as such, down to the whim of the customer. If they like the finished look, job done.

I did a complex splashback last week with 10x30 tiles and wondered whether to flow them around the corners, reflect them at each corner or centre them for every wall face. There's probably a BS for it but I went for flow in the end. Customer loved it so we're all happy.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

I can see that with pool tiling there is very little need for setting out but for proper tiling you have to actually think about it a bit ;0)

No loads of plumbers ,painters, builders, and DIY's tile better than so called tilers LOL if you can lay in bed straight you can tile ,Mr tiler is near you why don't you give him some lessons & in few day's he will have tiling cracked,

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Stands back and awaits

fireworks.jpg

Reply to TILING is there a right or wrong in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Wall & Floor Tiler Queensland Australia Tile Right About the role Seeking a Wall & Floor Tiler...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
Morning All! I thought it was about time to start a new Good Morning Thread. The old thread can...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB