Discuss Tiling just complete - am I being critical? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Hi,

I've just had tiling done in my kitchen and I would appreciate opinions on if it's been finished correctly as they are the first tiles I've had done - the tiles are 'subway style' 100mm * 200mm to be installed with trim.

Questions:

- the depth from the sink to the window was two and a half tiles - the half time lined up to the trim on the edge of the window - however, all along the trim I can see the cut lines of the tiles - all jagged - is that normal or should grout / other filler have been put in to give it a smoother look?

- is it unreasonable to have expected trim corners to fit together evenly?

- I had 5mm tiles and 7.5mm trim - as per b&q guy - but some of the trim has big gaps over the tops of the tiles - is that my fault for buying the wrong ones? It doesn't happen in every place

- is it unreasonable to expect the silicon sealant to be smoothly applied rather than lumpy in parts?

- should the grout have been allowed to dry fully before sealant applied? It is grey grout and the sealant appears dirty in parts - like it mixed in together?

The installer is coming back to look but it would be great to know from experts if I am being unreasonable!

Thank you,
Michelle

I

Ian

Here are the pics from Michelle's link.
3c3b7686593b059a5cd3d1e4c2f0a07e.jpg
888227da63f31f8de40a3a9b2de5b63d.jpg
d3bf379a589bf566b1c3f80c248dfa53.jpg
aef55470fe0da11474d5064ae95c6059.jpg
bb857d9b3ba41521e80ac297cbef8a57.jpg
544629dd2b50e037e27444dcd7ac3d22.jpg

R

rj1884

Hi. As Bri says a little lazy. The grout looks like it needed washing down giving an even finish in the joints. The small cut tile going into the cooker extractor I would have put a bit of trim on that exposed edge to finish it off. You can get silicone to either match or be similar colour to the grout.
Not sure what others door but I always silicone between the tiles and window frame due the vibration of opening and closing the window.
Like Bri said no excuse for the cut trim along the window ledge.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Michelle, when I first read your post I thought that you had done the tiling yourself. Until I read your last paragraph!

My observations:
Your tiles are called ‘Metro’. They have a bevelled edge. This means that the sides of them will be thinner than the middle of the tile. This becomes a problem when butting the tiles up against trim. The trim must be wide enough to accommodate the thickest part of the tile. However, the thinner part of the tile will look a bit lost in the trim.

I would have suggested you go either for a grey or metal (chrome) trim (normally you would match the trim colour to the grout). Or you stay with white trim and use white grout.

Sometimes soft ceramic tiles will cut giving a jagged edge. To get over this your tiler should have either sanded down the sides of the cut tile or cut it using a wet saw.

Silicone should be smooth.

What really annoyed me is the patched together piece of trim. That in my book is very very sloppy. Trim comes in 2.4 metre lengths. If I did not have a continuous length of trim for a window I would go out and buy more.

There is also a piece of trim missing at your cooker hood.

I hope the above helps.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling just complete - am I being critical? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Have had this subway pattern laid and some tiles don't seem level... Am I being too critical...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, after some advice, I feel like I’ve had a really bad tiling job done, it’s half finished...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB