Discuss Tiling my bathroom, any advice? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

W

Will Blackburn

Hi there.

I am tiling my bathroom which has been plasterboarded with Gyproc moisture board. Do they need any sore of primer? Can they be waterproofed any more before I tile?

The budget is low, but what adhesive do you recommend for the walls? What grout? Its a small bathroom being tiled with 600 x 300 white tiles.

The floor will be done with 500 x 500 black/grey ceramic floor tiles.

My floor is currently floor boards but I plan on laying some plywood first then tingling right onto that. Do I need to prime with PVA or anything like that?

Again any recommendations for adhesive and grout?

Thanks

Q

Qwerty

My advice to you would have been to use standard pb, then tank the areas that need waterproofing.

As for adhesive & grout.....you will get various different responses as people use all sorts of makes. The main brands are Mapei, Tilemaster, Weber, Ardex, BAL.

Never use PVA for tiling, use a dedicated primer the same brand as the adhesive and you would be hard pushed to go wrong

W

Will Blackburn

My advice to you would have been to use standard pb, then tank the areas that need waterproofing.

As for adhesive & grout.....you will get various different responses as people use all sorts of makes. The main brands are Mapei, Tilemaster, Weber, Ardex, BAL.

Never use PVA for tiling, use a dedicated primer the same brand as the adhesive and you would be hard pushed to go wrong

Thanks. Should I tank this moisture stuff?

Found someone not far with Weber Set Plus adhesive for £9.99+vat per 20kg bag.

Would anything I have described require priming?

S

Stef

Thanks. Should I tank this moisture stuff?

Found someone not far with Weber Set Plus adhesive for £9.99+vat per 20kg bag.

Would anything I have described require priming?

If your going to use set plus then get a bottle of Weber pr360, that's the primer I use most of the time.
Very good adhesive with a long working time..

Noticed on the other thread that MZ is close to you, why not contact him & get him to give you a quote for the job??

Indeed above,
but for all we know there might be a perfectly good Tiler living in the next street, or even a forum member, living close, struggling to fill his diary and paying the bills... whilst a Teacher/Doctor/Engineer etc decides to save a few bob and have a few weeks hobby while they're on strike or whatever..

Probably not even relevant to the question poster, but in general its my opinion!

T

TJ Smiler

Some people would be surprised how much a job would cost if they got a tiler in.
By the time the op gets all the relevant tools then they may not be saving that much.

You never know but some of the DIY'ers who come on here could be newbie tilers trying to get advice and disguising themselves as DIY.
Oh yeah, i'm Toby by the way. Aint been on here for years but thought i would have a little poke about.

T

True Tiling

Just pick your adhesive, don't go cheap, and make sure it is cement-based powder (due to the size of your tiles) and follow the instructions on the back of the bag. This will tell you what primer is needed for the substrate, but an SBR primer should suffice. No real need to use extra tanking unless you have a power shower in extreme use. If in doubt, call their technical helpline as good adhesive manufacturers will have one. Good adhesives and grout system manufacturers include Instarmac (Ultra Tile), BAL, Mapei and Weber. These all have technical helplines.

Q

Qwerty

Just pick your adhesive, don't go cheap, and make sure it is cement-based powder (due to the size of your tiles) and follow the instructions on the back of the bag. This will tell you what primer is needed for the substrate, but an SBR primer should suffice. No real need to use extra tanking unless you have a power shower in extreme use. If in doubt, call their technical helpline as good adhesive manufacturers will have one. Good adhesives and grout system manufacturers include Instarmac (Ultra Tile), BAL, Mapei and Weber. These all have technical helplines.

I would be making sure it's a bagged cement based adhesive not only due to tile size but also because it's in a wet zone.

As for the tanking..... water resistant plasterboard is not tanking, and you are wrong about tanking not needed unless a power shower is in extreme use. I have seen so many tiled showers fail with the substrates behind/ ceilings below showing signs of water ingress and damp. This has often been through lack of quality of installation of tiles, grouting, siliconing and fixing of trays and baths but would certainly have not occurred if they had been tanked.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling my bathroom, any advice? in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB