Discuss Tiling my shower.... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Ok here's the scenario. I have a shower in my attack en suite. I have retiled it twice. The first time was on MDF long before I knew what I know now. I stripped all that out and reboarded using waterproof plasterboard about 5years ago. Unfortunately there is an issue with my joists which has led to some deflection and the silicone join between the tiles and the shower tray has failed allowing water to get in behind the tiles.

To to take all the tiles off and reboard it is a massive job and we are looking to sell up and move. I won't say I intend to bodge it but I do want to know your thoughts not from a technical point of view as I know what I am going to do is not technically the right thing to do. I want to get an idea of your gut feelings as to whether it will work or not.

right... I can afford to lose a bit of space so I was thinking of buying some 10mm marmox and glueing it over the existing tiles and then mechanically fixing it through the tiles into the timber studs behind. Before sticking it on I was going to tank the existing tiles. Then a second tanking coat over the marmox. At the bottom where the marmox hits the shower tray I was going to run a bed of silicone and push the marmox into it. Then I was going to tile it using a reasonably light weight ceramic or porcelaine tile.

Bad practice aside what do you guys think.... Does it stand a chance or not?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
And the outcome was......

Not yet decided but stripping back to studs is not an option. too big a job and too costly. I'm thinking it will be tank existing, stick backer boards on with silicon and the mechanically fix them as well. Then tank secondary layer. Then get on with tiling. Still not decided for sure yet though. Got to finish the other bathroom first so I can decommission the shower and still have a wash....

C

Colour Republic

Am I missing something?

Your problem isn't the wall or tiles, it's the deflection in your joists. Reboarding, tanking, re-tiling won't solve your problem because as soon as you walk in to that shower again the tray will move and break any seal you have just made.

Is this on a first floor? If so can you tackle the problem from below? I'm assuming so if you've noticed the leak.

Remove a section of plasterboard from below and shore up the joist by adding extra noggins, joist hangers, slate packers... whatever you have to do to lessen the defelection.

Get the other bathroom finished then get a dehumidifier in the shower and let it dry out, then just simply resilicon the shower as it is without retiling... unless of course the tiles are falling off the wall? Or maybe just remove and re-tile the bottom tiles? Not sure how bad this leak has been?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Am I missing something?

Your problem isn't the wall or tiles, it's the deflection in your joists. Reboarding, tanking, re-tiling won't solve your problem because as soon as you walk in to that shower again the tray will move and break any seal you have just made.

Is this on a first floor? If so can you tackle the problem from below? I'm assuming so if you've noticed the leak.

Remove a section of plasterboard from below and shore up the joist by adding extra noggins, joist hangers, slate packers... whatever you have to do to lessen the defelection.

Get the other bathroom finished then get a dehumidifier in the shower and let it dry out, then just simply resilicon the shower as it is without retiling... unless of course the tiles are falling off the wall? Or maybe just remove and re-tile the bottom tiles? Not sure how bad this leak has been?

You are right... I forgot to mention in the last post I have beefed up the floor from underneath as well... Did that last weekend... Nightmare of a job as there are pipes and cables running up there and typically all in the wrong direction. That bits done. Not the tiles are not loose. Beleive it or not they are still solid which has surprised me because when I tiled it all last time I used tubbed gear.... But there you go. Got me backer board today so one step nearer.

C

Colour Republic

Not sure why you're re-tiling it then mate? if you've taken the flex out of the tray then why not simply reseal?

How is the shower finished? i.e tiles out of the shower cubical. I'm wondering how you're going to deal with the transistion between old and new above the shower enclosure. You could use tile trim but that going to stick out like a sore thumb once you added 15-20mm of backerboard and tiles. If I walked in to a bathroom like that my eye would go to it instantly and start wondering what nasties are underneath... but then I suppose not all homebuyers are tradesmen.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Not sure why you're re-tiling it then mate? if you've taken the flex out of the tray then why not simply reseal?

How is the shower finished? i.e tiles out of the shower cubical. I'm wondering how you're going to deal with the transistion between old and new above the shower enclosure. You could use tile trim but that going to stick out like a sore thumb once you added 15-20mm of backerboard and tiles. If I walked in to a bathroom like that my eye would go to it instantly and start wondering what nasties are underneath... but then I suppose not all homebuyers are tradesmen.

Your spending to much time 'debating'with swedish knobjockey mike rob, you seem to be getting grumpy these days [emoji16]

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling my shower.... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have a shower tray installed and it is sitting away from the wall. I am going to...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB