UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss tiling on 18mm ply??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DevonR

Maybe it's too early in my tiling experience to offer advise but from my teachings this is how I'd go about it:

Secure any loose floor boards before laying the ply. First off prime the 18mm exterior ply, an 8x4 sheet is equivalent to 3 sqm. Lay the ply on top (coat the back in liquid nails), stagger them and leave a 2mm expansion gap between the boards and the walls (edges). Now screw the boards down with a maximum of 300mm centres (be careful to avoid pipework - perhaps try a turbo gold screw 25mm long with a 4.5 head and make sure there counter sunk).
Adhesive will be dependent on weather your using ceramic , porcelain or stone tiles. To finish the floor at the door way you can get finishing edges that will take the height of the tiling back down to the carpet level (try Dural). You may obviously need to shave the door down or advise the customer of this requirement as part of the quote if you do it or before strating the job if not.

Hopefully that's all present and correct and more than that - helpfull.

D

DevonR

The reason for 18mm is it's British Standards recommended to make the floor rigid. Sure you could use thinner but that's at your discretion and if it goes **** up it's also your problem to re-do as well.
What if he's using natural stone? Will 6mm ply support the weight? Again you could up the thickness but on stone even 12mm may struggle to support the weight and not recess. Just my thoughts.
Definately go with the flexi adhesive and grout though.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
18 mm is the only gaurentee you will have if anything goes wrong and you have to get an independant assessor out, if you are using a grands worth of natural stone tiles, are you going to take the risk, granted it does throw off a lot of height and is a bit impractical for a lot of domestic situations, I personaly use 12mm ply for most ceramic jobs screwed down well, i would never recommend anything less as problems can occur especially with grout cracking or tiles comming loose in time.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tiling on 18mm ply??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I am in the middle of renovating my bathroom. First of its kind for me! The walls were...
Replies
Views
Hi, a long time since I have been here but back for some advice/reassurance ! About to tile my...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.