Discuss Tiling on a new screed floor? Is my tiler correct? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

U

upthecreek

Hi there, I have read a lot about tiling on new screed and I'm still confused. Before I start with the questions I must state that I am not doing this job and I have got someone in but I am unsure that it's been done correctly. I have a 5 square meter utility room where the floor had to brought level with kitchen and then tiled throughout. Before this started, a trench was cut through the utility room (aprox 200mm x 200mm) in order to lay a soil pipe for the addition of a new cloakroom toilet. 2 days ago a sand/cement mixture was then pored to fill the trench and level the floor. Excluding the depth of the trench the screed was between ( 40mm-60mm). My tiler who was also the person who did the screed is telling me that he can tile in a week (he is using BAL stone and tile PTB). However there is conflicting advice surrounding thist. from a day for every mm to 1 week in total. I'm a typical customer and do not want to wait 60 days or more. I don't think he will be able to DITRA mat as this will bring the floor higher than the tiles in the kitchen (which he has already laid). Is BAL green cement adhesive the best option and how soon can this be applied after the screed has been laid. I wan't to get my facts right before he comes back in 5 days. I just want the job done right!

U

upthecreek

Thanks Rookery. Just done some further reading preparing and priming the screed for tiling and the removal of laitence from the screed surface. I have a suspision my tiler is going to just slap on PVA. I have read numerous horror stories of tiles lifting and cracking and the resulting discussions on who is to blame. What is the correct procedure? I'm starting to worry that I seem to know more than my tiler.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling on a new screed floor? Is my tiler correct? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB