Discuss Tiling on a skimmed bathroom wall - HELP! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

sg0102

Hi there,

I am in the middle of refitting my bathroom, and it is the first job i have done - i am trying to do the tiling myself.

Now, the old tiles came down, and the wall needed reskimming, which we have just had done.

My questions is can we now tile on top of this wall, with just waterproof adhesive on the tiles? Or do we need to put some sealant down first? We have started, without any sealant, but my Dad has just told me i need to seal it?

Can someone please advise (asap!?) - and what is the risk of not sealing?

Many Thanks

D

DHTiling

Sorry about that.......yes you need to use an acrylic tilers primer to seal the gypsum from reacting with the cement based adhesive you need to use.....if you do use a tubbed adhesive then no need to prime BUT it will take a whole lot longer for the adhesive to dry out.....

Tubbed dispersion adhesives need to loose their moisture with air contact...where as the cement based adhesive will dry hydrolicaly within a set time period, depending on whether the adhesive is rapid setting or standard setting....

The tubbed one could take days to properly dry....

hope this has helped you.....

B

brian c

and don't let anyone talk you into using pva as a primer!!, 'cos it isn't!! might as well smear tomato ketchup on your plaster!
why is it when you ask older tilers why are you using pva and not acrylic primer?they say ive been using it for years and never had a failure and anyway that acrylic stuff is too expensive?

I know the pitfalls in using pva but they are just not interested when you try to discuss this....(no failures that they know about is what i say)

G

Gazebo

I am with Doug on this one, lots of tilers i talk to still insist on using pva, when i mention acrylic primer and any tips i have got from you guys on here, they think i am being over cautious etc, 1 tiler even said i must have been talking to the tiling Police when i tried to discuss most stuff i have read on here, so yes concentrate on the new guys coming through is a good idea, in future i am going to keep my mouth shut when i am on a job as the plumber and the builder uses his own tiler, on my own jobs as a plumber and the tiler i will incorporate all that i have learnt here. and yes i am a plumber by trade, but a very nice plumber who gives consideration to tilers when i am on the job.
Merry Christmas to u all and thanks to all at the forum.
Gary

May the New Year bring prosperity to you all.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling on a skimmed bathroom wall - HELP! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hi, hoping someone can help with advice. We purchased 600 x 600 tiles for our bathroom floor...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have a shower tray installed and it is sitting away from the wall. I am going to...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB