Discuss Tiling On Concrete Blockwork Outdoors in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Samb213

TF
Hull
hi all just been offered a job tiling an outdoor bar ...the bars walls are made from concrete block (not breeze block ) and have only been built for around 3 weeks ...just trying to get a few different opinions on the best way to go about this ..the block work its self is very flat soo thats not an issue ...my first thought was to back it out with some 6 mm wedi then tile straight over the top of that with some flexible adhesive but in order to keep costs down for the customer i was looking at tiling directly onto the block work maybe with a good few coats of primer on it then skim over it with a flat bed of adhesive ...one of the main things im worried about is the fact the block work has been sat out getting rained on for a few weeks and obviously the blocks are going to shrink as they dry back ...so the question is would you tile directly onto the block work or stick with my original plan and back it out with the wedi board ?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Can you tile onto breeze blocks the day after it's rained heavy. I have sealed the wall and tiles. It's for a raised garden border. Cheers
No they need more time to dry out really. Cement-based adhesive will cure while wet, but you don't want to trap that water in because if/when it freezes it'll expand and blow the breeze blocks and the tiling will fail.

Reply to Tiling On Concrete Blockwork Outdoors in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi guys I'm after some advice please. I've been tiling a few years but never even asked to do...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB