UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling on debonded screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

crisis123

Hi
I am after some advice about what to do in a kitchen/ family room in a house I recently moved into. Part of the kitchen and all of the family room is an extension. The floor in the extension consists of a concrete sub floor with a 50mm thick sand cement screed on top. The floor sounds hollow when tapped. I broke out the floor screed in the extended end of the utility room, it turned out the screed itself was sound, it just wasn't bonded to the sub floor. I am guessing that the kitchen/family room will be the same, as there isn't any cracking in the screed, just the hollow sound.
I am planning to lay 10mm thick 600x600 tiles throughout and would like to know if it is essential that I break out and relay the screed, or would tiling over it be ok?

Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Crisis

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
This method of construction i.e. Screed direct to concrete with no mechanical preparation, is called unbonded construction. The minimum depth should be 50mm and the maximum bay size should be 36m2with maximum aspect ratio of 2:1. Th design depth should be 65mm to compensate for uneven ness in the substrate but let us assume in this instance it was flat. The only reason for it being hollow if as you say it is sound will be a reult of curling. As already suggested it is likely that the end result of this curling will be some cracks appearing as the screed ultimatly "gives" under compression loading. This type of movement will deffinitely take the tile face with it. My opinion is that whilst it may appear sound it has not been properly cured hence the curling. It may not be as sound as you think. This can be tested but in all honesty given what you have described i would remove it and replace it with a better sreed tht can be laid thinner perhaps without curling issues.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling on debonded screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tiling on debonded screed
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.