Discuss Tiling on lath and plaster walls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

robbieee

Hi everyone!

First post so be gentle....

I am doing up my bathroom for as cheap as possible so i am doing myself.

The problem is that i want to tile the full room from floor to ceiling with 600x300 tiles (travertine effect ceramic probably).....But 2 of the walls are lath and plaster (skimmed). I am just taking the cautious assumption that these walls won't be able to hold the weight of the tiles. I have read that you should take the plaster back and attach plasterboard (dot and dab). But if i do that, the wall will come out further than the door frame. Is there anyway to avoid ripping the full plaster down and having a wall solid enough to hold the weight?

The walls look in decent enough condition...

Any advice would be much appreciated on how to overcome this problem. Or am i being over cautious?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
The lath and plaster walls will be stud work and so will not be suitable for dot and dab. The plasterboard should be screwed to the studs. This will mean it will not protrude further forward than the door frame. Don't skim the walls as this reduces the weight bearing capacity.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

well in the old days you would drill holes at the top every 150mm put a small hose throught the holes atached to a funnel then you would mix unibond with 70% water and pour in then you would go down half way drill holes again and repeat leave three days to dry with the lime plaster and hores hair and lathes it would harden like concarete give wack with hammer to test its strengh then tile

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
well in the old days you would drill holes at the top every 150mm put a small hose throught the holes atached to a funnel then you would mix unibond with 70% water and pour in then you would go down half way drill holes again and repeat leave three days to dry with the lime plaster and hores hair and lathes it would harden like concarete give wack with hammer to test its strengh then tile

Please no jokes about hores and their hair ;)

W

White Room

what!!!!!

R

robbieee

Anyone help?

So if i strip out the wooden laths (and plaster first of course), then attach plasterboard to the studs- what sort of weight with this then be able to hold? (will it then support the 60x30 tiles i want?)

Also- would you advise to get the walls skimmed as the walls won't necessarily be square/level for putting the tiles on?

Also would i use the moisture resistant gyproc?

I

ian158

Anyone help?

So if i strip out the wooden laths (and plaster first of course), then attach plasterboard to the studs- what sort of weight with this then be able to hold? (will it then support the 60x30 tiles i want?)

Also- would you advise to get the walls skimmed as the walls won't necessarily be square/level for putting the tiles on?

Also would i use the moisture resistant gyproc?

With old properties the stud wall timber might not be the same size..and a little twisted as the lathes and plaster wwere'nt always nice and flat, more of a wave to it..if your using 600x300 then the new board will need to be nice and flat..run a long straight edge horizontally to the vertical studs to see how far if any, are out, you may need to pack them out..get the substrate sorted first, this will make laying the tiles a breeze..unless they're are bowed !

R

robbieee

Well i started hammering out the plaster and something just didnt feel right. Something was worrying me. I wanted to check there is zero possibility of asbestos in the plaster, as my house was built circa 1935.

So i have sent abit of the plaster away for testing. Once i get it back (hopefully clear), I can continue taking the lath and plaster completely out. The studs looks solid anyway.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling on lath and plaster walls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi, so I’m relatively new to tiling. I’ve got a job where the walls aren’t 100% flat but not the...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB